Thursday, January 02, 2020

Top 100 Tracks Of 2019: 50-26

Continuation of the list started Monday: from 100-76, which includes my disclaimer/preamble. The second quarter of the list can be found here: from 75-51. Soundcloud playlist here and Spotify here.

#50: Haywyre - Let Me Hear That
The most funky track on this list and I'll say there's a few more really good ones on the way. Haywyre had a hell of a year and there could've been a couple other cuts in this place, but I think I fell for this one most hard because of its immediacy and its beyond beautiful back half. Oh and seeing Haywyre play it live is a trip (watch it here). It really doesn't get much cooler than this one.

#49: Murlo - Fauna
The middle Murlo child in this list. Like "End Of The Road" earlier, I'm a bit at a loss with this one. It's got a lot of the same energy and cinematic quality to its drum delivery. However this one seems to tickle me more. I don't think you can listen to it without smiling, it's just so effusive in its energy. The way Murlo plays around in its movement is truly magical, like a jungle's plant life all joining together in a dance.

#48: Tennyson - Melonpan
A truly gorgeous, cinematic cut that screams Tennyson. It's unique and magical in its delivery, like an epic cartoon opening sequence. Its opening half is enough to captivate, but its second half will have you in tears, especially the utterly euphoric and triumphant finale. Every time I hear this I'm reminded of the time I saw them live and the fact that I need to do so again.

#47: Sigma - Dilemma
This one really shows how out of touch I am when it comes to turn of the millennium hip hop and R&B, as I just found out this is Kelly Rowland. I was absolutely familiar with the sample but didn't know whose it was. But hey, good music is good music and this is certainly that. Building upon one of the best selling singles of all time, Sigma have really done a great job with this one. I just checked the various remixes of this and none can hold a candle to it. Its energy is intoxicating and it's just so much fun.

#46: The Chemical Brothers - Got To Keep On
It's truly amazing that The Chemical Brothers can continue to make such incredible records. No Geography is great and while I thought about including other cuts this, like "Go Crazy" earlier, is just the perfect exemplar of the album. It's got wicked, raw sounds and pristine beautiful ones too. It's anthemic and full of energy, but nothing beats the sweet release shortly after the 3:40 mark. It's just so satisfying.

#45: Boston Bun - Don't Wanna Dance
Another one of those ones I came across in a Magic Tape, and again it's got some serious sorcery to it. The groove is genius and boy has Boston Bun done a brilliant job building it out. The piano backing lays it all down, but it's nothing without the vociferous vocals or fantastically fat drop with its perfectly placed puntuations. Clean and super strong, I see a lot of staying power in it. Finally, I'd be remiss if I didn't give props to Mighty Mouse's masterful remix.


#44: Horse Meat Disco - Falling Deep In Love (ft. Kathy Sledge)
It's surprising that I haven't mentioned Horse Meat Disco up until now. I think their set was perhaps my favourite of the year. It certainly greatly influenced my listening habits, and indeed introduced me to a couple tracks in this list. I'll admit that when this EP came out I was drawn more to the Joey Negro remix, but after hearing the 12" original in a LeBaron James mix I changed course. The sweep you off your feet quality of the strings here are absolutely amazing and the drums, particularly the rolling fills, are pure dance perfection. As I write this I feel the urge to close my eyes and bob my head as though I'm Stevie Wonder. This is without a doubt one of the most satisfying songs of the year.

#43: Volen Sentir - C.A.M.
I loved a lot of the material that All Day I Dream released this year but this EP, and its title track, are easily my favourites. The ethos of the label is exemplified here as Volen Sentir sucks you into his delightful dreamworld. The construction of the track is utterly entrancing as each element plays an integral role in hypnotizing the listener. It is breathtakingly beautiful and while there's a bit of a brooding undertone to the track, giving it an edge, it is nothing if not a fabulous fantasy.

#42: Boys Noize & Francis And The Lights - Why Not?
An instant heart-melter. Overflowing with emotion, this one ultimately mirrors Duskus' "Only Be Me" remix from earlier in this countdown, tapping into the truth behind our feelings while lifting us up. An undeniable triumph, the movement in this is subtle and you won't be breaking into any wild dance moves, but rather you'll be moved more internally. Beautiful, bouncy and buoying, I'll always love Boys Noize's electro exploits but his more thoughtful, toned-down groovers are my favourite.

#41: Doctor P - Voices
As I continue to get grayer, my passion for fire beats continues to wain, and while I don't go to the club remotely as much as previous years, I can still appreciate an unhinged heater. Here Doctor P has conjured up an absolutely killer track that I cannot help but get behind. It really is ridiculously sick and makes me feel young again, reminding me of days when I'd have a sore neck after raging all night. While it's incredibly smartly crafted, it feels like you can do whatever you want flailing and throwing an absolute fit on the dance-floor. And we all need that every once in a while.

#40: Formidable Vegetable - Grow A Garden (Stickybuds Remix)
Opposing the menacing quality of "Voices" above, this one is a pure, silly DnB diversion. It's an instant shot of smile-inducing, dance power. It rocks, rattles and roll, slapping you silly with a supersonic groove. Again comparing it to the last track, I feel it apt to break out a so-called "kindergarten dance," which is absolutely anything you want. Feel free and move however you please; take in the therapeutic quality of the smoke that Stickybuds is providing.

#39: Murlo - Ascension
The third and final Murlo, Dolos track to make this countdown. Just like its predecessors, "Ascension" is a stunning, unclassifiable cut. It's got a good organic feel to it, despite its head-spinning electronic flurries. After initially pressing play I couldn't immediately remember why this was my favourite of the three, but then the brassy bits kicked in and there I was rising to heaven. While I compared his previous tracks to Sinjin Hawke, this one gives me more of a Machinedrum feel, particularly "Angel Speak."

#38: Les Rita Mitsouko - Andy (Folamour's Italo Remix)
After working his way into the 4th position of last year's countdown, Folamour has once again got me grooving to french lyrics. Like said "Ella Elle L'a" edit, this too thrives through fantastic percussion and brilliant vocals. It's a dope, driving dance number whose whole feel is warm and welcoming. It's the kind of track that will have you building a home on the dance-floor, filling you with energy to last several subsequent tracks.

#37: Sparkee - The Kids (ft. LIINKS)
It's pretty safe to say this was the song of my summer. I cannot count the times that I blasted this windows down, cruising the streets. Early morning. Late night. On my way to a baseball game, or after a tough loss. When Sparkee and LIINKS came frolicking through my speakers I was immediately wrapped up in its groove. It's one hell of a slick track and would certainly be in this list even without its sublime solo, which in turn catapults it to this spot.

#36: Kidnap - Sea Breeze
Listening to Kidnap's Grow this was an obvious and immediate standout. Yes, it's got a sick violin line but it's far more than that. The violin would be nothing without its counterbalance and the interplay Kidnap has crafted. alongside it. It is a cohesive unit of electronic and organic magic. It's right on the edge of being shrill and harsh, but its build is beautiful and energizing. Refreshing and fantastical.

#35: The Kount - Yesterday's Gain
You know a get down is good when you can sell a track with a mere preview. That's what happened with this one as a clip on one of The Kount's socials had me absolutely and instantly hooked as the fabulously funky storm swept me off my feet. It really is telling, and I hadn't realized, just how much violin is in this list. But it's the live elements from Aaron Paris (on violin), Stacey Shopsowitz (on electric bass) and The Kount (on all others) that leave be rolling in ecstasy as this tasty treat glides along.

#34: Joe Goddard - Pull The Plug (ft. Kool Keith)
As I mentioned with "Broken" earlier in the countdown, I rinsed the heck out of the EP sampler, in large part thanks to Kool Keith's dope delivery. After Joe Goddard's 2017, I wouldn't have guessed that he'd be dropping such massive, bass-driven tracks but here we are and I'm certainly a fan. I get a bit of a Mr. Oizo energy from this as it's the kind of track that you could easily (and I have) blast windows down, while headbanging à la Flat Eric.

#33: Elderbrook - How Do You
Tight and truly intoxicating, I cannot get over how slick the production on this one is. It just plays so effortlessly, moving from element to element seamlessly. This is the kind of EDM I can really get behind. It requires countless listens to properly appreciate all of its inspired interplay and craftsmanship. The music makes the vocals better and vice versa. A sublime slice of pop.

#32: Bob Moses - Enough To Believe (Jamie Jones Remix)
After claiming Defected's title of Best House Record Of The Decade through his remix of Azari & III, Jamie Jones has already cemented himself as one of the best producers in the game. So it should come as no surprise that, while this is his first entrance into this countdown, it is not his last. Much like Elderbrook above, Jones too has instilled exceptional and seamless progression in this remix. Bob Moses have had some big names remix their stuff, but none as successfully as Jones. He's kept enough of the original to capture the audience, while delivering a new driving base for him to expound upon. Subtle and strong, this mix has it all, and brings it with incredible aplomb.

#31: Wet - Old Bones (Jim-E Stack Remix)
The heartrending quality of Jim-E Stack never ceases to amaze me. His delicate touch is utterly inspired as he always builds such a sublime soundscape. It's full, warm and buoying despite its clearly downtrodden vocals. It strikes me a bit like a funeral. It's sad and mournful at its core, but there's something almost celebratory and freeing about it. It's complicated and captivating, and simply par for the course when it comes to Jim-E Stack.

#30: 9th House - Equinox
The internet is a magical place. I wouldn't have heard the vast majority of these tracks without it. Its connections are infinite and amazing. I heard this track at the same time as my favourite artist, Boy 8-Bit, as The Black Madonna gave it a spin while filling in for Pete Tong. It is right up my alley with its brilliantly bleepy and bouncy feel. And lo and behold I found Boy 8-Bit had tweeted about it reminding him of the early 2000s and listening to 30 second clips on dial-up. It's nostalgic and intoxicating and I just can't get enough of it. A perfect fit for this list.

#29: Hot Chip - Hungry Child
Apart from their remix of "Tutti Frutti," this is my favourite Hot Chip track of all time. A fantastic lead-in to their album, it's a beautiful and comforting bed. The vocals and the mixture of voices are amazing, just as its accompanying video. It's mysterious and captivating, a ridiculously resplendent cut that satisfies greatly, especially with the release (punctuated by a clock/metronome ticking) around the 4:20 mark.

#28: Kotek - Communication
Kotek's Sonoglyph Pt. 1 is stupid, scary good. And this opening number perfectly sets the stage not just for the EP itself, but for Kotek's current style. It's exceedingly beautiful, taking place in outer-space, while of course being ridiculously banging. Its midsection is like the soundtrack to a futuristic version of Asteroids, while its intro/outro are just jaw-dropping gorgeousness. While we've already got a taste of Sonoglyph Pt. 2, I cannot wait to hear its full form.

#27: Big Wild ft. Rationale - 6's To 9's (ABSOLUTE. Remix)
In the last year or two ABSOLUTE. has become one of my favourite artists, in large part thanks to his breadth of abilities. His tracks (originals and remixes alike) are always inspired, showcasing massive movement and playful progression. I was hooked on this one rather quickly, and would've been so without his treatment of the more fully formed vocals (ie not the vocal chops). As it is those vocals, particularly the chorus parts, that make this not just a good remix, but a great one.

#26: Friendly Fires - Run The Wild Flowers
Inflorescent is an amazing album and Friendly Fires are a fantastic band. So as you might expect it was difficult to decide what track(s) should represent them here. After some deliberation, and a chance appearance via shuffle, "Run The Wild Flowers" took the cake. The opening is utterly gorgeous and drums delightful. It rolls with exceptional ease and dazzles all the way through, sending your hands into the air and you into ecstasy. The combination of sounds, organic and electronic, are not just what I love about this track, but this band more largely. Brilliant and beautiful, a fantastic finale.

Note: #'s 92, 89, 82, 80, 76, 63, 61, 54, 44, 39, 34 missing on Soundcloud and #'s 97, 88 missing on Spotify.