Monday, December 30, 2019

Top 100 Tracks Of 2019: 100-76

Starting today through Friday (with a break on New Years Day), I'll be revealing my list of the "Top 100 Tracks Of 2019." The following is my disclaimer, as I feel it important to preface this kind of list with some insight into its creation and the methodology behind it. While I spent a lot of time seriously pouring through this year of music, this is not a really a serious endeavour. No one was polled. Sales and streams are irrelevant. This is merely my fun way of sharing the tracks and artists that made my year better, in hopes they do the same for you. The rankings are not scientific or even fair, rather they are simply a reflection of how strongly I felt these tracks and how much praise I felt they deserved.

You'll notice the thread of disco/funk continues from last year, as once again it dominated my consumption. But once again you'll notice I touch on a variety of genres, while sticking to the brand of this blog, which is indeed a reflection of my personal preferences and ideals. There's a lot of pop music, but the list is largely electronic and dance dominant.

Finally, I will once again say that this is by no means an exhaustive list; there are without a doubt exceptional tunes that somehow failed to make the cut. However, onward and, in this case, downward, from tracks 100 to 76 we go. Find the Soundcloud playlist here and Spotify here.

#100: Robotaki - Quasar
As so often seems to be the case I'm called most strongly to the b-side of a release. Here "Quasar" captures my attention with a truly dizzying display of musical craftsmanship. Robotaki rifles off a resplendent mix of electronic and organic instruments that reminds me of both the extraordinary quality of early future bass and the indie rock energy of Erol Alkan, specifically his "Forever Dolphin Love" remix.

#99: High Contrast - Going Up
The first in a long line of DnB tracks in this year's countdown. The consistent quality of High Contrast is on full display here with this crisp, crackling cut. It's both exceedingly beautiful and seemingly simplistic, while somehow still feeling fresh and exciting after a plenitude of plays.

#98: DROELOE - Only Be Me (Duskus Remix)
Immediately heavy on the heart, this one is actually brilliantly buoyant. The swinging nature of the drop is sure to leave you swooning while the whole thing oozes poppy positivity. While a few years ago I would've said bitbird is one of my favourite labels, I can no longer say that. However this mix seems to have found the perfect balance between their sappy saccharine ethos and sharp, catchy synths.

#97: Nelly - Air Force Ones (Klutch Remix)
While I don't often get into tracks primarily for a single sound, this remix and its rattling bass is so banging that I cannot help myself. The drops are stupid dope and the rest of the track is built with enough ear catching punctuations that it deserves recognition in a list like this. It would be a banger with the first drop alone, but a progressive second drop and its sensational use of Nelly make it a can't miss.

#96: Sub Focus - Solar System
With a name like "Solar System" you'd expect some serious magnitude and Sub Focus did not disappoint. This one hurdles along at light-speed and if you go along with it, you're apt to burn up like a supernova. A lot of electronic music has an outer-space, futuristic feel and this is most definitely one of this year's best, most banging examples.

#95: Caroline Polachek - So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings
First hearing Caroline Polachek in the ridiculously catchy "Ashes Of Love," I'm taken back to that brilliance whenever I hear this equally alluring number. The exceedingly cool quality of this one seems to come from Polachek's penchant for "apple saucing" her lyrics. The way the vocals flow so effortlessly is utterly intoxicating, allowing me to sing along even though I have such a terrible time (often purposefully) identifying lyrics. Of course props have to be given to Daniel Nigro for his brilliant musical bed too. This is such a fun and easy to enjoy song.

#94: Local Dialect - Poseidon (Gorgon City Remix)
It would've been hard to do this list without a Realm track, as they've had so many rolling successes this year. While this is indeed a contemporary production, I'm drawn to it largely because it brings me such joy in my memories of the earliest Gorgon City productions. I don't know what it is about these two, but they just seem to produce moving tracks that suck you in to an immersive environment.

#93: Pete Tong & HER-O - Go Crazy (ft. Todd Edwards)
I keep calling Pete Tong and HER-O's Chilled Classics one of the coolest projects of the year, and what better way to celebrate that than with the lead single. The whole album is brilliant, with a handful of sensational standouts, yet "Go Crazy" just seems like the ultimate exemplar of such a stunning mix of organic dance music.

#92: Slam Dunk'd ft. Chromeo & Al-P - No Price (Dr Packer Remix)
I'll never grow tired of Dave 1's voice nor Dr Packer's productions, so of course this is a shoe in for a list like this. A big beautiful Glitterbox track, the first of a few in this list, "No Price" is sensational, stunning poise. Its groove is gorgeous and just keeps going, just as its strings and synths leave me swooning. It's the type of track that always leaves me spinning in ecstasy.

#91: Jam & Spoon - Stella (Kölsch Remix)
An absolute killer Kölsch number, the kind I've come to expect from the Danish deity. It is epic yet never boring, building towards unmitigated techno magic. Add in some strings and you've got one of the most inspired productions of the year. It's worthy of an inclusion in a James Bond chase-scene montage.

#90: The Vision - Heaven (ft. Andreya Triana)
The first of a half dozen Defected tracks to make the list, The Vision is an inspired pairing whose originals are full of organic goodness. There's so much to like about this one. Andreya Triana's vocals are sublime, and The Vision's treatment of them truly brilliant. An instant classic.

#89: TNGHT - First Body
Easily my favourite of the new EP, and I don't understand why it's not getting love more widely. Seemingly outlets are gravitating towards "Dollaz" which is a tight tune, but far less powerful, playful and inventive in my ears. This one's got the wild allure that first made TNGHT such stars, and of course it's a big time banger to boot. I just can't get over the pan flute or whatever that sound is, it's so sick and they've built around it so brilliantly.

Admittedly I'm not the biggest Kanye fan, so I didn't immediately know what this was when Cloverdale sent it to me. All I knew was that it was fire. Their recent run of bootlegs has been banging, but this one is just so slick. They've made perfect use of the original giving it sick new shuffling life.

#87: Pryda - Illumination
There's something about Pryda's year that left me confused. There were more than a handful of tracks that I rated 5/5 stars, yet so often I was unable to determine which was which or bring myself to play them when they came up in a shuffle. That said he absolutely deserves inclusion in this list and "Illumination" was the track that stands out the most. It's got his usual epic construction and sublime sound design. Classic Pryda.

#86: Adriatique - Nude (Solomun Remix)
Solomun on Afterlife, what's not to like? Sick sounds and playful progression, this one's got it all. It doesn't necessarily dazzle right away, but give it time and you'll be left wondering just what the f this magic is.

#85: James Welsh - Sitting
Maybe it's just the vocal delivery but this one reminds me of a couple of last year's best in BETON's "Directions" and Mixhell & Joe Goddard's "Strong & Wrong." And just like those it leans heavily on a powerfully produced yet simple bed. That said, the simplicity and progression that grows out of it is exceedingly easy to get swept up in, allowing for maximum mystification.

#84: Prospa - Control The Party (TSHA Remix)
Prospa are one of only two artists to make this list three times. They've had an absolutely massive year and while the original version of this track is not my cup of tea, TSHA has found a way to transform its strong points into a more manageable banger. She builds a more beautiful backing while still along the drums to dominate. Like the Prospa remix that you'll find later in this list, its that mix of driving drums and an exceedingly cool climate that makes this an absolute stunner.

#83: Apashe - Distance (ft. Geoffroy)
Some artists are truly in a league of their own and that can certainly be said about Apashe. His recent run of orchestral inspired tracks are just as stunning as they are sick. Just as banging as they are beautiful. Twisted and turnt, polished and prestigious. As far as teasers go, Apashe's upcoming album ought to have serious hype, because this is faboulous fire.

#82: KiNK & Rachel Row - To Love You (Vocal)
I've had a bit of an odd relationship with this one. I first heard Annie Mac play it in a show jam packed with hot records and of course this one stood out as a stunner, but for some reason it fell off my radar shortly after. It's a bit simple and repetitive, but boy once it lets loose it really rocks. The more I listen to it these last few days the more I think it's such an obvious choice and should perhaps be higher in this list. However the confusing (non-)calculus I've used to craft this list has it here, and I'm not all that chafed about it. A great track but not a game or life changer.

This could just as easily be "Black Magic Woman" however while that one was in steady rotation for a bit it quickly fell off as I all too often compared it to the Santana version. This one emerged victorious through the reason Madeaux is one of my favourite dark/bass house producers: his exceedingly obsidian sound design. The drops have the makings of black holes, bending gravity and bodies alike. That said this one's got a good groove too, so it's not just all doom and gloom.

#80: Joe Goddard - Broken
I rinsed the EP sampler quite a lot waiting for this to drop and it did not disappoint. The first of two tracks from said EP on this list, "Broken" could make a list like this with its ridiculous drum work alone but once you add in the ultra jaw-dropping quality of its low end you've got a certified stomper. Just be careful because you might blow your subwoofer.

#79: Kove - Le Retour
As mentioned above, there's a whole bunch of DnB in this year's list and one of the things I like most about it as a genre is the mixture of raw musicality it enjoys. There's room for strings, horns, synths, all kinds of atmosphere and of course its namesakes drum and bass. Here Kove has hit it out of the park with a fire groove, dope drum lines and heavy horn work. It's an all around explosion of ecstasy.

#78: NICOLAAS ft. Lucy Mason - No Stranger Thing (Louis La Roche Remix)
Previously Muneshine, NICOLAAS has had a lot of slick cuts this year but for me nothing beats this Louis La Roche remix. It's cool and brilliantly polished from the get-go, especially with Lucy Mason's voice, but the real winner comes in the bleepy brilliance of the drop. It's just so satisfying.

#77: Deetron - Body Electric
Heavenly house and divine disco wrapped in one. The groove just keeps growing and gets even more captivating as it goes alone. The soundscape is sublime by itself but then you add the vocals and things reach fever pitch quality. It's easily one of the most scintillating pieces of the year and my only gripe is it could be longer.

#76: Elderbrook & Rudimental - Something About You (Mason Maynard Remix)
The drums in this one still catch me every time. They're so much fun to focus on. Just like the percussion, the rest of the track's progression is a wicked win coming together in fantastic fashion. There's no perfect part or dizzying display, but rather it is yet another case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

Note: #'s 92, 89, 82, 80, 76 missing on Soundcloud and #'s 97, 88 missing on Spotify.