Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Top 100 Tracks Of 2019: 75-51

Continuation of the list started yesterday: from 100-76, which also includes my disclaimer/preamble. Soundcloud playlist here and Spotify here.

#75: Flume ft. Vera Blue - Rushing Back (MJ Cole Remix)
While Flume had a huge year as countless clamored for his mixtape, you won't find any of those tracks here. Instead he appears in this list twice having released a few sick singles that made way for fantastic remixes. Here MJ Cole kills the catchy "Rushing Back" with a brilliant bleepy flip that makes masterful use of Vera Blue's vocals. A spine-tingling sensation.

#74: Jai Paul - He
The enigmatic master returned in 2019 and he seemingly hasn't missed a step with two sublime singles. And of course I gravitated towards the b-side, as "He" seemingly delivers more of that genius "Jasmine" vibe. It's soulful and ridiculously satisfying. And of course it showers its listeners in ethereal ecstasy.

#73: Barney Lister - Matchu
Not the only track in this list I first came across in a Magic Tape mix. Of course it's got the awesome alchemy one would expect for an inclusion in said series. It's beautiful, buoyant and oh so easy to dance to. That said, the slippery, squelching groove that emerges as the track progresses is some kind of sick, satisfying perversion.

#72: Angelov - Chero
An alien awakening, this is some serious top notch techno and one hell of a debut record. The whole EP is sick and I really thought about adding "Retrida" to the list but the vocal feel of this one took the cake. Like the others on this EP, Angelov's abilities shine the strongest when all elements come together in supremely satisfying syncopated fashion.

#71: Stanton Warriors ft. Sian Evans - Up2U (René LaVice Rooftop Remix)
Like so much of my favourite DnB this year, this one absolutely explodes out of the gate. It's got so much to like. The piano. Sian Evans' vocals. The way the two play together: <chef's kiss>. Then of course there's the drops that play like a defibrillator forcing you onto the dance-floor. A roaring success.

#70: Kölsch & Sasha - The Lights
The kind of epic, clean quality you would expect from a legendary pairing like this. Once you've heard that unreal lead line you'll never hear the track the same again, as you wait breathlessly for it to kick in. I know I'm doing that right now as I listen to it yet again. And as good as that lead line is, it's nothing without the duo's deliciously effective backing.

#69: Vampire Weekend - This Life
I never liked Vampire Weekend more than this year. Their album was one of my favourites of the year, and certainly a large part of my summer soundtrack. For obvious reasons, "Harmony Hall" could've claimed this spot, and the same goes for "Stranger" thanks to Danielle Haim's inclusion, however I ended on this one even before I found out Dave 1 was one of its producers. Koenig's voice and lyrics are as awesome as ever, and I just can't get enough of the chorus. Such a beautiful track.

#68: Dimitri Veimar - Snowfall
Easily one of my favourite drum parts of the year, but the real magic of course lies in all the interplay that follows. The growling vocals bits are brilliant and the brooding, bounding bass equally so. Of all the tracks I've written about so far this one is the most mystifying in its atmosphere. There's so much to like about it and boy are its parts good, but once again we've got a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

#67: Weiss - Let Me Love You
This is yet another track I've got a complicated relationship with. For some reason, even as I prepared this list, it fell further and further from the top. That said it is an undeniably dope track and incredible use of classic Kariya vocals. It's both classic and fresh, and of course truly anthemic. Just maybe a little too anthemic.

#66: Booka Shade - Torch
The legendary duo just keep churning out top notch techno cuts. And churn is an apt word here as "Torch" really mixes it up on the low end. It's an uber cool creation with the usual epic synth work that underscores Booka Shade's catalog. It's got an awesome entrancing quality and really gives great life to the overtly electronic.

#65: Joris Voorn ft. HÆLOS - Messiah (Dark Science Piano Mix)
I really fell for the original version of this. It captivated me nearly instantly as it came on as part of a shuffle session as I was riding the subway, and while it could be in this spot I too became instantly struck by this piano mix. It may lack a little bit of the depth of the original but its intoxicating groove is still intact and the playfulness of the piano and new sparkling soundscape make it inescapable.

#64: Kiesza - You're The Best
There's just something so scintillating and satisfying about Kiesza's voice. I'm not sure I've ever heard her and not been impressed. Much like the Caroline Polachek song in the last post, I'm incredibly drawn to the flow of the vocals, particularly the lyrics I have trouble deciphering. There's just something so magical about how Kiesza's voice emanates out of the dreamy musical bed. It's powerful and oh so entrancing. It's led to me playing it on repeat on more than a couple different occasions.

#63: Murlo - End Of The Road
The first of three Murlo tracks in this list, each from what must be my favourite album of the year, Dolos. This one, much like its mates, is a wild ride. It's only fitting that Sinjin Hawke and Zora Jones remixed this one as it really reminds me of Hawke and First Opus. I'm not sure how to classify it but I sure as heck can confirm it is uber cool. Fantastic flurries and mind-blowing brilliance.

#62: Elephant Heart - Lenguas (Kotek Remix)
In the past few years there's been few names, if any, that I've come to trust more for providing ingenious productions. Kotek's work is truly brilliant. It's always banging and always awe-inspiring, as well as being inspired in itself. While there's still a bunch of remixes left in this list, it's without a doubt one of the best. His drum work, vocal chops, sound design and playfulness are absolutely incredible, so much so that with every listen I'm reminded that Kotek is one of the scene's brightest talents.

#61: Four Tet - Teenage Birdsong (Avalon Emerson Scrub Jay Remix)
Like Kotek above and Apashe in the previous post, Four Tet is truly in a league of his own. Whether it's as Four Tet, KH or his symbol laden side-project, Kieran Hebdan's releases always captivate. Here Avalon Emerson has tapped into the best bits of "Teenage Birdsong" and elevated them in spectacular fashion. In fact it doesn't even feel like a remix, but rather a repositioning. Still a Four Tet track through and through, just a touch tighter and heavier.

#60: R.O.S.H. - Perhaps I Would
Of course Twin Turbo would make an appearance in this list. When I first wrote about this track I referred to its growth as a bubbling primordial ooze and while listening to it now I wasn't immediately struck with that feeling, but sure enough I've since been transported to this exciting evolutionary time. Especially through the vocal swells arising around the 3:30 mark, I'm struck by the awesome natural energy it exudes. Gaseous and gorgeous, thumping and thrilling.

#59: Rex The Dog - Vortex
An absolute thumper, it's impossible not to be swept up by this one in its opening seconds. And of course it's perfectly named as it very easily initiates a spinning visual background, spiraling towards some unknown time and space. Everything about it signifies the dive into the unknown nether that is always used to illustrate time/space travel in a tv show or film. It's not mere random movement however, Rex The Dog succeeds in making it incredibly easy to dance to, churning up countless molecules on the dance-floor.

#58: Ten Ven - Talk To Me
Man, this one just oozes magic. Right from the first few seconds you know you're in for a treat and while its a quite repetitive number it is supremely satisfying. It's got all the makings of a classic cut. Incredibly catchy, earworm appeal through its sprightly lead line and wicked, windup energy in its synth grooves. I just need more. Someone's gotta come up with a massive, extended mix with extra elements. Maybe Pete Tong will task an orchestra with it in the coming years. A guy can dream, right?

#57: NuKid - In The Hood
Very likely the dirtiest, heaviest banger on this whole list. NuKid always delivers and he could've had several cuts here but after this reemerged while listening to my iPod on shuffle lately, its gargantuan groove cemented its place here. It both slaps and bangs, brooding brilliantly. That said, I'd say it's more of a bop than banger and ain't nothing wrong with that.

#56: Andrew Bayer - Voltage Control
A strong start and you can tell something big is coming, but it didn't really catch me until the old school bleepiness takes over. But boy, once that crispy, crackling synth hits I'm in heaven. Once it restarts nearing the 3 minute mark the Anjuna feel really kicks in and you realize you're not just dealing with a mere banger but rather a powerful epic. I'm not the biggest trance guy but when a track has this much killer quality to it I'm sold. Plus I can't help but hear Alex Metric and Steve Angello's "Open Your Eyes."

#55: Kazu - Meo (Jacques Greene Remix)
This truly is a dream pairing. There was a stage 10 to 12 years ago where Blonde Redhead was just about the only band I listened to with any consistency. Kazu's voice holds a special place in my heart and it wasn't long after my love affair with Blonde Redhead that I first heard Jacques Greene, so this is some kind of awesome serendipity. I equate it to last year's pairing of ATTLAS and Serj Tankian, as though it were made just for me. Also like last year, this is crafted with the most delicate elegance and tasteful virtuosity.

#54: Elvis & DJ Phil - Tell Me That You Love Me (Remix)
This is easily the track, and artists, I know the least about. Appearing almost randomly, my ears were piqued with the whistling intro and the drums. It was clearly some catchy stuff, but I needed to hear more. The eventual mixture of instruments and Elvis' voice is quite cool, something I was absolutely intoxicated by. I couldn't help but nod along, tapping my toes, swinging my hips, all while whistling and playing the air guitar. I gotta give it to Elvis and DJ Phil, this is one of my most prized finds of the year.

#53: Hot Since 82 - Tilted
Like so many tracks in this list, I was immediately taken by this one. The bumping groove to open is awesome, but then you add the climbing strings and I'm swooning. This became a go-to record when I needed to quell a friend who was complaining about my more left-field musical choices. It's a sonic safe-place, easy to enjoy yet not at all static or stale.

#52: Foals - The Runner (RÜFÜS DU SOL Remix)
RÜFÜS have had a big few years, recently receiving a pair of Grammy nods. They also received countless remixes, but it is their remix of the fantastic Foals that's really got me going. Yannis Philippakis' voice is ripe for remixing with several standouts coming in recent years and RÜFÜS have done a brilliant job here. It's a epic engagement full of gorgeous growth and magical movement that throbs and bobs its way into your heart.

#51: DJ Brace - And Then (JFB Remix)
Yet another DnB track to close out this chapter. And once again it's the more classic musical elements that makes this such a stunner. I'm a sucker for violin and here it's the cherry on top of this sundae stomper. JFB's delivery is dope and its easily one of my favourite DnB numbers not just of the year, but of any I've ever encountered.

Note: #'s 92, 89, 82, 80, 76, 63, 61, 54 missing on Soundcloud and #'s 97, 88 missing on Spotify.