Monday, October 08, 2018

Thanksgiving Throwbacks

After an uneventful scroll through my Soundcloud feed this morning, I changed gears to focus on tracks not released this year, but indeed played an immense role in my year. So here's a quick taste of some throwback tracks that I'm awfully thankful for. Enjoy via playlist and read brief descriptions below.

Shina Williams - Agb'oju L'ogun
First heard in an Erol Alkan mix. Minimal yet massive, majestic groove-fest.

Poolside - Harvest Moon
First heard in a Greg Wilson mix. As if Neil Young recorded the original on a moon. Weightless wonder.

Turbotito and Phillipi & Rodrigo - Canção Para Laia (JKriv Remix)
First heard in a Kölsch playlist. Brilliant blend of techno, acid, and funky electronic grooves.

The Salsoul Orchestra - Salsoul Rainbow (Dimitri From Paris DJ Friendly Classic Re-Edit)
First heard in Horse Meat Disco's Essential Mix. Sublime strings, godly grooves in a pure disco delight.

Ignition - Sunday Secret Lover (Greg Wilson Edit)
Can't exactly remember where I came across this, but I feel like someone asked about it on Twitter, inciting me to look it up myself. My favourite Greg Wilson edit, in large part due to the section at 2:42.

Michael McDonald - Sweet Freedom (Live)
First heard this version on PBS' Soundstage, but it was the 12" version that got me hooked. I've always enjoyed MM's voice but it's the horn riffs that kept me coming back. My favourite track to throw on as I'm walking home, whistling and singing all the way.

Average White Band - Pick Up The Pieces
Another one first heard in a Greg Wilson mix, although it feels so familiar. Can't help but get lost in this funky groove. Very few tracks induce such a confident strut the way this does.

Todd Terje & The Olsens - Baby Do You Wanna Bump
Right up there with my favourites song of the year, so it's weird I can't remember where I first heard it, although I feel it was another Erol Alkan nod. Cannot get enough this groove or the horns. Top Terje.

Paul McCartney - What's That You're Doing (ft. Stevie Wonder)
Another one first heard in Horse Meat Disco's Essential Mix. Jumped out at me immediately, like "damn, I need this" only to have jaw drop to find out it was McCartney. One of the funkiest riffs ever.