Thursday, May 31, 2018

Oddish - Oddity

Some times good things come to those that wait. Often times I find myself struggling to find something fresh and exciting or even just good enough to pique my attention as I scroll through Soundcloud. That holds true today, because although there were a few that warranted a second play, I didn't feel as connected as I'd like in order to properly address them. But that changed when I went to the Discover feature and the 'Upload' playlist. Atop the 20 "newly posted tracks" was Oddish, a name I know from Pokémon, but this isn't that. This is a unique character that has very little information surrounding, presumably, him. The only outside connection is a Twitter account, that seems to have arisen around the same time as the "Om Telolet Om" craze (read here). But back to the music.

The track atop the aforementioned 'Upload' playlist was "Jet Lean" and its brassy drone, which gets tripped and burnt brilliantly. The drums snap and smack teasing the wonderfully warped low end that only get more twisted in the second drop. After taking in all of the Oddity release from which "Jet Lean" is taken, it is the perfect introduction to the dark, destructive and banging bass, house, techno amalgam. Each track sports a strong groove and succeeds in large part thanks to propellant percussion. They are all equally full and fantastically designed productions that are sure to fill the floor and leave you wanting more. Stream the whole of Oddity below and download it free here.FOLLOW ODDISH: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER