Thursday, May 17, 2018

Throwback Thursday: My 5 Favourite Essential Mixes

With the long weekend looming, I'll be away from my computer as I attend a bachelor party in Montreal. With that in mind I've decided to share my five favourite episodes of BBC Radio One's Essential Mix that we'll certainly be turning to as the party rages on through Monday. It of course serves as a Throwback Thursday post as each of these mixes original aired between 2009 and 2011, an era I'll forever find close to my heart. Find each five linked alphabetical order with short descriptions. Enjoy!

Alex Metric - April 16, 2011
This has been my exemplar for mixing and track selection, and is best described by the man himself as his past, present and future. Records that he grew up listening to and takes in "80s synth, funk, italo-disco, nu-disco, techno, house, electro, indie, [...] filters the attitude and feeling of big beat through it, [...] that anything goes ethos, [...] no genres, just good music." Picking one highlight is nearly impossible, as there are so many, but the combination of LCD Soundsystem's "You Wanted A Hit" and Yuksek's dub of Katy Perry's "Peacock" is still stunning. (Tracklist)

Boy 8-Bit - May 14, 2010
An obvious inclusion as this is my favourite artist, but what can be said about this epic mix? The crate digging and mixing reign supreme, showcasing so many of my favourite productions, soon to be legends, and just downright dirty deep cuts (see the unknown mix of Detroit Grand Pubahs). Again a single highlight is tough to pick, but the move from the groove of Thomas Shumacher's "Red Purple" to Joe And Will Ask?'s "Rusty Pig" gets me every time. (Tracklist)

Cosmic Gate - February 12, 2011
The only non-house mix in this list, and an oddity in that I had really never heard Cosmic Gate before this. That said I still turn to this mix incredibly often, there's just such a grandness to it that fills me with an immense energy. I use it for long bike rides or other extended travels, where I may need to focus for short stretches, but can still enjoy the overall epicness. The track selection is again top notch, with so many now classics. Dune's "Heiress Of Valentia" still sends me into a tizzy, but the move from "Zero76" to Tristan Garner remix of "Rapture" is rave resplendence. (Tracklist)

Fake Blood - March 14, 2009
Quite possibly the first Essential Mix I ever heard, and it was because of Fake Blood that I became introduced to Boy 8-Bit. Fake Blood was bloghaus at its best, but he was so much more. His skills on the deck, undeniable. His ear for fire mashups and acapellas, perfect. His own productions, awesome. At times it is pure explosive energy and others, sublime and sweet. The sledgehammer to the face that is the trio of Zinc's "Blunt Edge," Lazy Jay's "Float My Boat" and Ink & Needle's "Tattoo Number Three" is stupid good. (Tracklist)

Jack Beats - February 20, 2010
Another excellent example of handfuls of my favourite productions (from Jack Beats and otherwise) being brought together in incredible fashion. One hell of a start with their ridiculously wicked "Little Secrets" remix. But then there's what I've called the best 40 minutes of music starting from their remix of "Epic Last Song" through to Popof's "Serenity." Then there's the transition from "Peanuts Club" to "Donut" that still sends shivers down my spine. The release there with the drums and the depth of "Donut" underneath is almost more than I can bear. True and undeniable brilliance. (Tracklist)