Sunday, April 15, 2018

HAIM - You Never Knew (Jim-E Stack Remix)

Last night I lay in bed watching HAIM perform on the Coachella mainstage before Beyonce shut things down. My love for the sisters is well documented, both on this blog and my Twitter feed, but it was sometime in the last month or so that I came across the fact that Jim-E Stack was credited as playing the keyboard on Something To Tell You. My love for Jim-E is also well documented ("Deadstream" was #7 in my countdown last year) and only further flourished with his latest original, "Somebody," which is beyond gorgeous. So today when I came across a new Jim-E post on Soundcloud I was instantly excited, exponentially so when I heard Danielle's vocals.

While at first it took me a while to get into HAIM's more folk/country tinged tunes, of which "You Never Knew" is one, it is one of my favourite songs on the album. That said, hearing this more electronic tilt totally makes sense. Part of what makes the original so strong is the vocals, harmonies and otherwise, and again they are used to perfection here. The same can be said for the guitars, as they're only bolstered in a way that seemingly blends both the best bits from "Somebody" and "Deadstream." This remix is pure refined and restrained beauty and brilliance, and just another reason to jump on the Jim-E Stack bandwagon.. At the moment the track only seems be available below and on Youtube.FOLLOW HAIM: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER
FOLLOW JIM-E STACK: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER