Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Point Point Live at AccorHotels Arena

I've gushed about Parisian supergroup and Record Record founders Point Point a number of times, both here and on FUXWITHIT, but I'm not sure I've been as in love with them as I am today with the release of their sublime live set from this past weekend. Recorded at AccorHotels Arena in the French capital; Aazar, LH4L, Devoted To God, and Nömak have illustrated exactly what it is I love about them. I knew that their unique brand of 'future bass' spoke to me, whether it be as individuals, as Point Point or in their releases on Record Record, but I see now why it does with this mix. It hits on so many classics and staples of the club, trap, jersey club, hip hop, and even funk scenes. The hour long set really has some of everything: it goes hard, it gets emotional, it features a number of their own tunes and so many of the tracks and artists that they draw inspiration from. Let me now do a quick run-through, below.

The epic arc opens up with sweet strings, easing our ears in slowly before the bright, bleepy vibes burst over the skyline like the first beams of morning light. The energizing opening is the first of dozens of flawless transitions, this one in particular plays into San Holo's "We Rise." Then as if writing this piece for me, the cinematic arc becomes blatantly clear as we get the now classic "Cinema Slasherr" edit from Benzi & Elephante. Following that we get the first of multiple Kanye cuts, this one coming as their own remix of "Power." The flurry of nostalgia stays steady with Sam Smith's vocals from "Latch" leading into the lap of power that is Freekill's remix of Aazar's "Gyal." Minutes later we're treated to the classic Run DMC/Bob James sample, which then transitions into an ungodly edit of KC & The Sunshine Band's "That's The Way (I Like It)," before slipping into Chicago's "Street Player" and then MERCER's "Satisfy." Just writing this has me hyperventilating. Someone get me a paper bag! This is too good.

The first third of the mix concludes some classic grooves from Armand Van Helden before giving way to the gritty genius that is Pyramid's remix of "Utopia." And then here comes your answer as to whether the mix could get better, and astonishingly the answer is yes, as in comes The King with "Beat It." I wish I could line this article with GIFs and emojis to better illustrate just what Point Point is making my face do. This is just crazy and quite simply one of the best mixes I've ever heard. It is incredibly enjoyable and while it leaves me wanting more, it keeps feeding me like Homer Simpson being fed donuts on a continuous loop. And if you thought I was done with the insane play-by-play, how about this transition from the Spice Girls aided "Oooops" of Drippy Dolphin into SOPHIE's "MSMSMSM" and then Carmada's remix of "Right Here, Right Now."

As we round into the second half of the mix we get more of Point Point's own productions including "All This" and "Korean BBQ," before a flurry of San Holo, Galantis and Jack Ü. These classics are then followed by a bit of a new music jam session, that neither I nor Shazam are able to identify. We're then beckoned towards the finale with a foursome of Point Point tracks "Life In Grey," "Serious Mood," "Part Of The Game," and "Hands." The grand finale comes in the form of a whistle aided live version of M83's "Midnight City." You're likely left both a shadow of your former self and a more fulfilled, actualized version. I for one know I'll be coming back to this mix many times in the coming days and months, and am grateful to be able to download it absolutely free. Do so here, and follow Point Point below.FOLLOW POINT POINT: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER