Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Top 100 Tracks of 2017: 75-51

Continuation of the list started yesterday: from 100-76, which also includes my disclaimer/preamble. Soundcloud playlist here and at the bottom.

#75: WRLD - Everything (ft. Ashdown)
One of only two DnB tracks on this list. It is delightful and spectacular sci-fi fun. The groove and its subsequent glitches are genius. It reminds me of Fred V & Grafix, which is saying something, and boy oh boy could I get into a set of this kind of liquid lusciousness.

#74: Falcons - Want Your Body
I can't count how many times I've heard this track, yet I still feel like it eludes my ability to properly characterize its quality. It's kind of sneaky, yet once it kicks in there's no avoiding its allure. The drum work is absolutely ingenious, propelling the production into a stratosphere unrivaled by any other tracks released this year. It is original and excellent, truly in a class of its own, but that's standard for Falcons.

#73: Ayo - Name Game
(As featured on EFYE) When a track doesn't need quality speakers to sound massive you know you've got something special. The bass Ayo's dropped here is quite simply the biggest thing in this whole list. In fact I'm fairly certain that if you play this on a big system, a hole in the time-space continuum is ripped open. Heed his advice and "play that shit again" and again and again.

#72: OAKS - Vibrations
Another almost old-school style track that takes me back to my early days exploring electronic music. It's got a great club churning groove that plays so perfectly with the synths and overall atmosphere. It's both wild yet some how still tempered in its tech house delivery. I swear I hadn't realized it until I played it live on Bump In The Hump, but I stand by my comparison to Boy 8-Bit, my favourite electronic artist.

#71: Jaxx Da Fishworks - Round Em Up
The typically house heavy BADLQQK crew had a huge year, and while there were several standouts, (particularly their RQQKIES) it was actually this breaks track that most caught my attention. Of course drums are the most important aspect of breaks, and boy do they ever do damage here. It's wobbly, warped and wicked good fun. And it's not just BADLQQK who had a big year, expect to see another track from Jaxx work its way into this list.

#70: Bicep - Aura
(As featured on EFYE) The unreleased Bicep track finally got its release after more than a year of magical teasing, and while it'll be remembered by most as a delirium-inducing demo, there's little better than having a full official release to play when and where we want. While I'll always be a sucker for their remix of "Tears I Can Afford," this may be Bicep at their best, navigating the line between a knock you off your feet, wall of sound and a feather-like tickling of your senses. Simply sublime.


#69: Lindstrøm - Tensions
How we've made it this far into the list without a mention of Joe Goddard is beyond me. This track got an accidental world premiere in Joe's disco mix for Annie Mac at Glastonbury (here), and finally got a release in September. The genius of Lindstrøm is on full display as somehow he is able to manufacture a track that simultaneously gets bigger, yet ever more nimble. While generally I prefer more classic disco vibes, this nu-disco turn is absolutely tremendous and truly titillating.

#68: lux impala - Trombone
I can't be the only one that imagines this as an adult version of the part in Dumbo when he sees "Pink Elephants." It is trippy yet oh so enjoyable. When the drums kick in you can't help but get down and dirty, rolling in the mud the with the precocious pachyderms. It's not just a brass brow beater either. It's inviting, as the mid section showers you with a warm breeze before blasting off once again.

#67: So Loki - My Girl
Not many tracks can boast as much fun as this. The flute draws you in and the flow seals the deal. It may be simple, but it's quite simply fantastic. And man that word play. Woah. I want need more.

#66: LeyeT - Don't Make Me Cry (Nate VanDeusen Remix)
(As featured on EFYE) It might actually make you cry it's so beautiful. It might also renew your faith in future bass. The vocal chops are sweet, and man, LeyeT's voice is so fantastically full of character, especially in the way VanDeusen's delivered it. But yes, it's really all about the beauty and triumph of the drops. They exalt the ears, and leave you breathless just like the genius effect in each.

#65: Lido - Murder (Alexander Lewis & Y2K Remix)
The original track appeared in this countdown last year, breaking the top 10, so you'd think it'd be incredibly tough to improve on it, and while I'm not sure it did, this mix certainly has its own merits. Brass has been big in 2017, and there's no bigger brass than in the second drop, which I used as my ringtone for a good portion of the year. It oozes intimidation, coming off like a deranged psycho killer.

#64: Barclay Crenshaw - The Real X-Files (ft. Lady Chann)
I don't know what I like more, Claude VonStroke's real name, Lady Chann's flow or the way it plays on this out-of-this-world beat. There's some kind of beam me up brilliance that the beat blasts out, never resting for a second, improving and altering its structure at every turn. I'm only left with one question, why isn't there more music like this?

#63: CastNowski - Down Under (CYMN Remix)
While so much is made of the Parisian house scene, our own French Canadians have been killing it in their own right. There may be no better example than this remix package, with CYMN's killer cut standing out like a banging beacon of bass. I really need these guys to come back to Toronto and play a set, because hearing this on a big system is a must, even if it already crushes on crappy computer speakers.

#62: IBI. - Arrival
(As featured on EFYE) Still after dozens of plays I'm always transported to some sort of alien ritual. And that's really what Jadū Dala does best, combine alien sounds with a magical sheen. But back to IBI.'s brilliance, the vocal chops sit at the core of this coolest of creations while all kinds of awesome whirls around them. The drums are dope, especially fire in the fills, and the whole thing is just so tremendously trippy. But even more than that it's incredibly original, like nothing I've ever heard before.

#61: Airuei - Heck
(As featured on EFYE) Whatever name he wants to use, or whatever account he wants to post to, as long as he keeps dropping tracks like this I'm happy. This one really has everything: soaring synths, spectacular switch-ups, pristine percussion and a pretty piano solo finale. But really it's all about that drop with the ringing cymbals and bells, and scrubbing synths. Dozens of plays later and my head is still spinning.

#60: Radioactive Man - Bonnet Bee
Can a strong sub-plot actually take the lead in a track? With this one it sure seems so. If this track really was a bee in my bonnet, I'd let it fly around in there all day. It's kind of scary how good it feels to try to recreate that by turning the sub-woofer up and sitting right on top of it. I feel like I'm going to turn into Radioactive Man when I do (and I'm talking the Simpsons' superhero).

#59: London Grammar - Oh Woman Oh Man (Tiga Remix)
This track is proof that you can remix London Grammar, put Hannah Reid vocals on the back burner, and still make a masterpiece. In typical Tiga fashion, he's transformed the original into a techno titan that grows and progresses with each subsequent sound. All of the synths, all of the drums, the overall atmosphere, the deep drone, everything and I mean everything, is exceptional. Like the lyrics "it should not mean that much to me," but man this track is just so unavoidably awesome.

#58: Frou Frou - Let Go (Aylen Remix)
(As featured on EFYE) Taking on a track like this is not an easy task. Especially when the original is so emotionally charged. You have to tread lightly, being sure to pay penance to the power of the lyrics and Imogen Heap's voice. Aylen has succeeded at that, while still managing to make a banger. Like with most of his productions, his strength lies in crafting clean sounds and massive, manipulative bass.

#57: Terr - Misantropicalia
Soundcloud's related track section has helped me discover some absolutely fantastic tracks, but none matches this. I can't remember what track I was writing about when this would come on after each play, but I can just about guarantee I came to like this one more than the other. It's just got such a great atmosphere and groove that sucks you in, transporting you to a super cool desert club.

#56: Great Good Fine OK - Find Yourself (ft. Before You Exit)
Jon Sandler's voice is as emotive as ever, but the harmonies he hits with Before You Exit are extra special. And man oh man does the guitar glide along as though handed down from heaven, which only furthers the impact of the lyrical content. And yet we haven't even reached the best part. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get past the 50 second mark without being shaken to the core. God it's good.

#55: Lunice - Drop Down (ft. SOPHIE & Le1f)
After his work with TNGHT, which still appears amazingly often (and deservedly so), it's great to have Lunice back. He's again crafting club killing stuff and this may be the best of the bunch. Right from the get go that sound should have captured your attention, then the percussion kicks in and it's over, you're done for. Lunice is "just winning, sitting pretty" atop the DJ decks watching his handiwork destroy.

#54: Missy Elliott - GET UR FRK ON (Indiginis Re-Fresh)
(As featured on EFYE) Super sexy future jazz vibes, perfect for getting your own freak on. Whether you prefer is with or without Missy's vocals is irrelevant. The bed is bouncy and oh so beautiful. But special credit must be given for their genius re-titled instrumental, "copywritten, so don't copy me."

#53: A-Trak - Believe (ft. Quavo & Lil Yachty)
Uh oh, I just saw a comment saying "sounds like rugrats in the hood" and I guess I kind of already thought that but never so explicitly. Just like that comment, it's impossible to get the melody out of your head. And if you're not sold on the quality of this production, just watch the behind the scenes video from Genius (here), where A-Trak does indeed call the music box bit "rugratz."

#52: Lazy Rich & Jaxx Da Fishworks - Guilty Pleasure
If this is the last Lazy Rich production we ever get, I'll be sad, but I'll have memories flood back when this one kicks in. It may not be your typical classic Lazy Rich track, but it's still top notch. And like the Jaxx track above, the drum work absolutely astounds. It's crazy good fun, especially with the sax and vivaciously wild vocal play.

#51: Hal Incandenza - Desatame
True story time: I had my iPod on shuffle one day, and this came on. After the first play I thought, damn that was really nice, I'd like to hear that again. Several repetitions later I decided this was my new favourite song and proceeded to play it for my friend, who had the same reaction. It was the track that hooked me on Calor, and I still cannot get enough of it's light, beautiful and fantastically fun groove.

Continue to 50-26 here.Note: #'s 6751463934115 are not on Soundcloud.