Thursday, December 21, 2017

Throwback Thursday: The Whitest Boy Alive - Golden Cage (Fred Falke Remix)

While I'm busy thinking about 2017 and the new music it brought (especially as I work on my picks for Album Of The Year and Top 100 Tracks), I felt it apropos to shine a light on an older track that played a massive role in my year: Fred Falke's remix of The Whitest Boy Alive's "Golden Cage."
Now this story actually starts in 2016 when FACT Mag published a list of the "30 best blog house tracks." As is often the case I opened the article in a new tab but I never got around to reading it, until one day early 2017, when I spent the afternoon thoroughly digging through the countdown. I always knew I liked Fred Falke, but boy did this one blow me away. And it took no time at all. The opening is absolutely intoxicating with the most incredibly uplifting synths and funky drum delivery. Further along it only get more groovy and grandiose, setting a sublime, strutting soundtrack suitable for your morning coffee, afternoon pick me up or after club crooning session.

It, like so much of the best bloghaus, pairs the indie punk rock aesthetic with rave revelry and the power of PLUR. For my tastes, it is dance music at its best. The crowning jewel being Falke's ability to mix the emotional lyrics with the oh so fun and frivolous funky feels. Just a short stint of the video below exemplifies just how much fun (maybe frustratingly so) the crowd is having as Fred plays live.
Anyway, that's all I've got for this. It was one of my most played tracks year and deserved a share. I can only hope that you enjoy it a fraction as much as I do, and that it inspires some digging of your own.

FOLLOW FRED FALKE: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER