Thursday, December 28, 2017

Top 100 Tracks Of 2017: 50-26

Continuation of the list started Tuesday: from 100-76, which also includes my disclaimer/preamble. The second quarter of the list can be found here: from 75-51. Soundcloud playlist here and at the bottom.

#50: Biscits - M Night (Boy 8-Bit Remix)
(As featured on EFYE) The already exceptional original gets a great update from the brilliant Boy 8-Bit. As always, he's able to inject a great raw groove that combines jungle atmosphere with a techno twist. It is playful as it is powerful, crunching and crackling alongside its sublime synths. It feels like Boy 8-Bit at his best, working with a lighthearted sample and ingenious progression.

#49: Joe Goddard - Lose Your Love (Full Length Version)
While the radio edit (which you'll find in the Soundcloud playlist) was released last year, the full length version only came to light with the album. And this expanded edit is exactly what I love about Joe Goddard. It's expansive disco house vibes are beyond beautiful, with wells of warm organic instrumentation. The additional guitar becomes a love guru, gently caressing this uber cool creation. There is no act I want to see more than Joe, and I expect his live set up to be one of the best around.

#48: CID - Believer (ft. CeeLo Green)
(As featured on EFYE) When I first heard this I was so sure that it'd blow up and become one of the biggest songs of the summer, if not the year. I'm not sure that's happened (35k plays on Soundcloud, 1.3 million on Spotify), but in my eyes and ears it is still one of the best to come out this year. CeeLo's voice is just as alluring six months later, and the production still shines with a wild glory. The piano, and additional island feels that arise in the second half are just so beautiful. Part of the reason some of these tracks make this list is that I've never had the opportunity to hear them on a big system, and I hope that it may help that happen; I can still only imagine the impact this one would have.

#47: Bryan West x R.O - Nightfall
Another technically 2016 release, but because it came after I released last year's countdown here we are. I can still vividly remember my first real encounter with this track. I was riding the subway and had to pick my jaw off the floor, when its superb story stunned me. I had to listen again and again, cranking the volume up with each repetition. There's just so much to like about this track: literally every sound, each subsequent section and the fantastic flow into each. It's big, beautiful and just oh so intoxicating.

#46: Krafty Kuts x Dynamite MC - Rev It Up (ft. Riya)
There has never been a time this track has come on and I've not been instantly lifted. It rivals any track on this list, or perhaps ever, in terms of fun energy. Krafty Kuts has built a brilliant bed for Dynamite and Riya to work their magic on. So many lines from Dynamite hit me hard, even if they're a bit silly. My personal favourite "After the party, I'll eat your pizza." And there's no ignoring the "pick it up, pick it up, pick it up, like engine number 9 we're revved up," call back. It may be the only cut from All 4 Corners on this list, but if you like this I can highly recommend checking out the rest of the album.

#45: Muneshine - Full Throttle (ft. Darcys)
(As featured on EFYE) It's still kind of hard for me to believe the incredible coincidence that this and Chromeo's "Green Light" remix happened to appear in the same episode of Bump In The Hump. Who knew Canadians were so damn funky. The groove Muneshine lays down here is all kinds of epic, and only made better by the brilliant drum work. Oh and the Darcys' vocals? Holy crap this track is good. I should have expected this from Muneshine, though. It seems his tracks always leave me reaching for the sky is utter ecstasy. I NEED MORE!

#44: Chromeo - Juice (Yuksek Remix)
The fact that we got a new Chromeo original is one thing. That it's leading to a new album is another thing. But for some reason I felt like after a few listens "Juice" kind of fell off for me. It's got the great lighthearted lyrics and fun funk, but it just didn't really get me going crazy. That was until Yuksek delivered this remix. It is massively amazing. Bigger, bouncier and even brighter than the original, while adding even more oomph. And this is exactly what's best about new music, it spawns more, and with the three official remixes and four bonuses, there's something for everyone. Yuksek's touch talks to my fascination for French feels, while doling out a delicious disco vibe to boot.

#43: Daphni - Tin
(As featured on EFYE) There certainly seems to be a theme here with these tracks: that after just one play I'm hooked and need an IV of repetitions immediately. That again was the case with this track. I heard it once, then played it over and over for at least a half hour. Months later its sheen has only has barely shrunk. The ingenious club qualities are still stunning, in an incredible example of skillful sample usage. Whatever name Dan Snaith wants to release under I'm happy, as his production prowess is always front and center, particularly in the piles of progression and interplay in this track.

#42: Henry Saiz & Band - The Golden Cage (Sébastien Léger Remix)
(As featured on EFYE) The drum beat had me hooked immediately, spinning around amidst the swirling synths, and this was before we got any of Sébastien's trademark progressiveness. The scene he crafts is an incredible one: part disco, part techno, all genius. And while the drum beat may be the back bone, the muscular synths and bass surrounding it are equally important. They set up a dance all night kind of groove that somehow keeps getting bigger and better as the tracks moves along. The final flourish starting at about 5:59, is exactly what makes this track such a masterpiece. It leads seamlessly into the alien elements, shooting "The Golden Cage" into the stratosphere.

#41: Mercer - Bastille (Madskies Remix)
This is right up there with the deepest and most banging of all the tracks on this list. Madskies absolutely annihilates the original, adding one of the meanest and most crazy drops I've ever heard. The interplay between the bass, synths and drums are truly mind-blowing. I feel like I'm not able to quite do this track justice as all I want to say it is a banger. But its more than that. It's a belter, a stomper. And again I can only imagine how much damage it would do to a dance-floor.

#40: The xx - On Hold (Jamie xx Remix)
I am a huge fan of artists remixing their own tracks, and while this isn't explicitly a VIP, Jamie xx indeed had his hand in the original, giving him an inside track on taking the track to a new level. He brings it to a more house style atmosphere, tricking out the 'drop' with a delightfully dance-worthy groove. It is plucky and powerful, instantly putting anything you're doing on hold, while you lose your mind to his majesty. It could be love, and in fact I think I feel it more and more with each listen.

#39: Hal Incandenza - Rising Sun
After falling for "Desatame," I found this track spoke to me even more. It is bigger and even more groovy than its list mate. The bold beats are gripping, sucking you in through their delightful design and precious playfulness. Then of course there's the lead line that strides above the rest of the track like a beacon of beauty. Oh and then that screaming sax, talk about stunning. Like much of this list, it lends itself to be performed live. I'm not sure how Hal does it, but man would it be cool to see this live.

#38: Cozway - Windbreaker
Another one of those late 2016 tracks that still persevered praise a year later. Again with the Jadū Dala tracks, I'm overwhelmed with the image of aliens. It is all kinds of original and truly trippy. When I wrote about it for FUXWITHIT's Top 50, I described it as part sci-fi space battle, part slicing/dicing samurai swords, all amazing. The more I think about that it's perfect. And of course it's not just a brilliant beat or straight up banger, Cozway's winning delivery includes excellent progression.

#37: Lorde - Green Light (Chromeo Remix)
Lorde's big year started with this track, and while the original is truly enjoyable, this version does it much more for me. And what's not to like about divine disco delivery? The guitar groove is godly, the talk-box transcendent, and the chorus worthy of canonization. And believe it or not, I actually came to like it even more after hearing it in Joe Goddard's disco mix for Annie Mac at Glastonbury (here).

#36: Thast - Come For Me (Prod By Ryan Hemsworth)
I was big on this one for about a week, then for some reason it fell off my radar. Later I came back to it and couldn't drop it from my daily repertoire. It started off as me enjoying it primarily for Hemsworth's production, afterwards it became all about Thast's fierce delivery. And really the two work fantastically well together. I fuck with this heavy, particularly the way the two play off each other from about :37 to :55. It feels like a guilty pleasure, but in fact I'm proud to say this was one of my favourite tracks of the year. That's right, I'm that bitch, don't come for me.

#35: Robert Robert - Coolest Place In The Universe
Not many tracks are as aptly named as this one. It really is uber cool, particularly the melody and its many iterations. It may come and go, find itself swung or scrubbed, wet or dry, but no matter how it's found, it is fun and heartening. Add in the punctuating effects and samples and you've got yourself one of the best beats of the year.

#34: Yuksek - Break My Heart (Dimitri From Paris Vocal Remix)
Yuksek and Dimitri From Paris on one track? That's as a good as a guarantee that it'll be on these kind of year end lists. It's the perfect mix of French touch electronic elements and sweeping disco delights. It's bright, beautiful, bouncy, and stridently self-assured. Like the vocals (which help it rise above its dub counterpart) it is brass-bound, indestructible. The dueling synths and keys take care of that.

#33: Sam Lamar x CYMN - Easy (ft. Mikey Ceaser)
I've already sung the praises of CYMN, with his maniacal remix of CastNowski, but the addition of Sam Lamar and Mikey Ceaser, take this track to banging to new heights. You really don't see tracks like this every day, in fact I can only think of a couple names that might also be able to pull off such a banger (Destructo, AC Slater, Dr. Fresch). That said, I've yet to come across one that I like as much as this. It is absolutely diabolical, possessing you further with successive and progressive drop.

#32: Phantogram - You Don't Get Me High Anymore (A-Trak Remix)
In case "Believe" didn't have you sold on A-Trak's production ability, perhaps this will. And yes, he's that versatile. If it's a good track, regardless of genre, I would believe you if you told me A-Trak did it. His builds are always well thought out and top notch, always including an incredible number of levels and layers. And true to form, he's found a way to work in some rap, as Joey Purp goes off, adding some dope depth to the already stimulating song. And how about that knock leading into the drop. Damn.

#31: Rytmeklubben - Like That
The combination of sounds from Rytmeklubben always leave me in awe. It's as though each member of the EDM boy band (Henrik The Artist, Hi Tom, DJ Karaoke, Torjus) add an additional element to each sound, crafting something truly unique. One comment hits the nail on the head, or should I say pipe on the opening: "The background pipebass reminds me of those pvc instruments the blue-man group plays." And yet there's so much more than just ingeniously original sounds, the melody is magical and only adds to the emotive and sensual singing.

#30: Boy 8-Bit - Want You
(As featured on EFYE) The crispety, crunchety percussion is again at the fore, despite being the backbone. And when that happens you know you're in for a treat. The atmosphere is majestic and holy, especially as the organ rolls in around the midway mark. It is at once diabolically deep yet delightful and angelic, rising to the heavens. It shows that while Boy 8-Bit's slowed down in his output, it's still as strong as ever.

#29: Michael Jackson - Human Nature (Louis La Roche Remix)
(As featured on EFYE) If those opening lines don't get your senses tingling I'm afraid you may not be human. Louis La Roche certainly knows how to craft deliriously good disco, and how to work around the likes of Michael Jackson, because while it's not his first rodeo with The King, it may be his best. It is so full of love and passion, letting MJ's voice work so wonderfully over the original, yet recast, multi-tracks. However, it strikes me more as a homage than a remix, reminding us of the qualities of humanity.

#28: Pete Tong & The Heritage Orchestra - Body Language (ft. RAYE)
There's no denying the quality of Booka Shade original. Even without the vocals it remains one of the greatest tracks ever produced. Add in RAYE and you reach so many more ears. Now with the strings and full orchestral feel, you've got something truly special. I'm not sure an orchestra makes everything better, and it would be hard to improve on this, but like "One," also from Ibiza Classics, hearing the genius musicality of the original brought to life as such is undeniably awesome.

#27: Mura Masa - helpline (ft. Tom Tripp)
(As featured on EFYE) I feel like I've talked about and written about this at so much length. I know I've listened to it around 100 times this year (live and studio combined). And while it is that live Coachella version, whose raw, new wave/punk/funk/hip hop/etc feel is so intoxicating, I've learned to love the studio version almost as much. The reality is the overall construction of this track is brilliant, from the drum work, to the groovy bass, and scintillating synths. Mura Masa is a genius, and that's undeniable.

#26: Sinjin Hawke - By Any Means
Deciding which tracks from First Opus would make the cut for this list was hard. But then placing them and ranking them against each other was painstaking. Throughout much of the year this was my favourite track, although I realized it was because it was kind of sneaky, in that it felt like once it hit the best bit, it abruptly ended. Also it wasn't "Onset" or "Monolith," both of which seemed too obvious. This track feels like the greatest interlude or setup ever. It holds so much of the same brassy boom of the album, but feels more dance-able than a lot of the other tracks, certainly as the final form reveals itself. It is funky good fun, while never seeming overtly that way. Again, Sinjin Hawke is a genius, and we'll certainly be seeing more from him in the final section of the countdown.

Continue to 25-1 here.
Note: #'s 6751463934115 are not on Soundcloud.