Thursday, March 11, 2021

COVID: 19 Records I Rinsed This Year

Today marks my one-year anniversary with COVID. One year ago today, the president was addressing the nation on the TVs in the Radio Humber studio as I was in the middle of Bump In The Hump, receiving countless messages about the NBA shutting down. Of course, our lives were all in for a major change, staying inside and isolated more than ever before. Luckily, I've always revelled in staying home and immersing myself in music. However, I quickly found a limit to my ability to enjoy an endless stream of new music, realizing I needed to mix things up in order to keep myself entertained. And that's where this list comes in.

Like a sonic rinse cycle, these nineteen records (single tracks and full albums) were my most go-to palette cleansers in this most unprecedented of years. The range is ridiculous as you might expect and entirely unintentionally, features music made prior to the millennium. Many of these records I first encountered this year, while a handful of others became much closer to my heart as I enjoyed them more immensely than ever. They were and, in many cases, are still literal obsessions of mine. What it is that makes them so special ranges from heartening lyrical content to incredibly catchy vocals or just plain, undeniable energy. I can't tell you how many times I sang along to these in the shower, used them to tear up a hill on my bike or danced to them as I did the dishes. Hopefully, you too can put these records to good use. Find the Spotify playlist below and note that it features the original album tracklists, rather than the extended/deluxe types that are part of the list of links after the jump. Enjoy!
* indicates record not available on Spotify