Thursday, July 30, 2020

Dukwa - My Journey Into Eternity

Some tracks have an unavoidable stickiness to them. Hear them once, even if only for a minute, and somehow they've managed to make a home in your head for all eternity. That was the case for me and Dukwa's "My Journey Into Eternity."

Championed by Annie Mac, I first came across this captivating affair in one of Annie's shows, thinking "boy, this is really cool, I have to remember it," before proceeding to write it down in my ongoing list of tracks watch out for. Again a week later, there was this wicked lick bouncing all over the BBC airwaves. I had not remembered the name, but indeed the electric energy of its vivacious leading line. Finally last Friday, we were gifted the release of Tears Like Stones, complete with the life-affirming lusciousness of "My Journey Into Eternity."

A masterclass in the power of the piano, Dukwa's genius shines through the careening chords, electric lilts, brilliant backing elements and complimentary percussion. As catchy as anything I've heard all year, I've already developed a signature dance move for "My Journey Into Eternity" and can only imagine how many others will find themselves playing the air piano along to this absolute gem. Stream the sublime sojourn below and get Tears Like Stones from Beatport, Phonica, Clone, Juno or Redeye.FOLLOW DUKWA: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER