Tuesday, November 19, 2019

The Magician - Magic Tape 94

Belgian tastemaker The Magician never fails when it comes to his prolific Magic Tape mix series. Each and every time he manages to combine the freshest funk and soulful house tracks. And of course this 94th edition is no different. In just the first four tracks alone, two have been released in November and another, Tensnake's "Rules," is still forthcoming. The quality and fresh nature of the track selection is one thing, but being able to combine it as seamlessly as The Magician does is the true mark of quality.

Since the weather has turned I've felt an urge to play video games, especially when I listen to a good mix. This has been something that occurs to me when I revisit old mixes, as I have been doing lately with Tiga's weekly My Name Is Tiga upload. There are a number of old mixes that I go back to time and time again and always associate with some of my favourite times in university playing Lord Of The Rings Online for hours on end. And I truly believe there is something special about the combination of being focused on playing something while still having enough brain power left to enjoy a mix. It doesn't matter if the mix is new or old, fast or slow, heavy or easy-going, or even whether it has voice over - it just moves along brilliantly as you play. All of this is to say that, serendipitously a childhood friend reached out to me today, sharing a game he created (try it here), and of course I needed something to listen to while giving it a go.

Enter The Magician and the smooth moves of Magic Tape 94. Each worked on the other making both more enjoyable. Early on I suffered many defeats, but as the music kept getting better I couldn't just quit, I had to keep grooving. So maybe you can give yourself the same magical feeling by diving into a game and throwing this mix on. Or at least do something that lets the mix sit comfortably in the background, so as to properly let The Magician's alchemy inspire. Find semi-complete tracklist here.
FOLLOW THE MAGICIAN: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER