Monday, November 04, 2019

Coldplay - Midnight (A fictional. re-imagination)

Something strange happened to me today as I dug through the internet, searching for something to catch my ear. After a general lack of success I took to Soundcloud's Discover feature The Upload, a tailored playlist of 20 "Newly posted tracks." While I turn there every once in a while, it often doesn't lead to much more than a handful of mixes and uninspired originals. And while that is largely true today, sitting in the 13th position was a remix of Coldplay's 2014 track "Midnight."

As it turns out this remix from Indian duo fictional. is the one and only production on their page. What's more, after searching Ayush & Sachin (the two names attached to the project) I experienced a strong feeling of déjà vu as the resulting search led me to Bengaluru-based metal band Orbitual. For some reason I feel like not only have I done this search before, but that I had also heard this re-imagination before too, which is indeed possible considering the timeline. And perhaps that's why I was drawn to it.

fictional.'s take on the Jon Hopkins co-produced "Midnight" has a faint, yet undeniable feeling of familiarity in it, however I cannot confidently say that it's because I was already familiar with the original. Of course it could just be Chris Martin's voice that rings the proverbial bell, but I can't shake the feeling there's something about the instrumental that I've heard before. Bigger and deeper than the original, fictional.'s re-imagining soars beautifully, countering the icy ambiance with a warm summer's night feel. Of course the flittering lead line still stands strong as the obvious midnight feel, and to say Ayush and Sachin have leaned into it would be an understatement. That said, it is the key to the mystifying nature of "Midnight." Stream below and look out for more of the mysterious duo, fictional.
UPDATE: Both Ayush and Sachin reached out last night, 1) confirming they have nothing to do with Orbitual, and 2) sharing their solo projects. Ayush is Zyther and Sachin is ZOANE.

FOLLOW FICTIONAL.: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER