Monday, March 05, 2018

HAIM - Walking Away (Petko Turner's Mura Massa Edit)

Petko Turner is a name I've come across a number of times in the last few months as I continue to dive further into the world of disco/funk edits and remixes, and today I fell headfirst into that ocean. The original impetus came from his most recent release, a take on "Fortihouse," which lead me to his prolific Soundcloud profile. Home to 277 tracks, the selection is epic with remixes and edits of artists and names I've never heard, alongside the likes of Phil Collins, Depeche Mode, Prince, and more. However, one track in particular caught my attention, the subject of this post, HAIM and "Walking Away."

Here Petko's taken his talents to the Mura Masa remix of said track, giving it a bigger bass backing and kicking the tempo up a notch. While the airy dreaminess of Mura Masa's version is all but boiled off, the bleepy brilliance seems stronger and more magical than before, especially in contrast with the bursting-at-the-seams bassline. The allure of HAIM's original and their vocals still remain, but the lyrics are cut back, which reminds me of the first time I heard HAIM, in Duke Dumont's remix of "Falling," This is further proof that whoever is supplying the vocals for HAIM (Este, Danielle or Alana), they are ripe for remixing. I certainly hope we're in for more masterful takes on their tracks, and highly suggest a scroll through Petko Tuner's bountiful back catalog. Download "Walking Away" free via Hyppedit here.
FOLLOW HAIM: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER
FOLLOW PETKO TURNER: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER