Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Future ft. The Weeknd - Comin Out Strong (Saï T Flip)

Last week Whiplash came on TV and I found myself unable to turn it off. I'd already seen it before, but never properly took the time to explore it from a musical standpoint. So this time I took to the internet to check out more of the tracks, particularly "Whiplash" and "Caravan." As I was watching covers and live performances I stumbled across Snarky Puppy, a super sized jazz fusion group. As you might expect with my funky disco tilt of late I fell rather heavily for their captivating creations and powerful performances. As seems to be the case when I 'discover' a new band, I essentially get ruined for all other music. Don't get me wrong, I still see the value and purpose of say dubstep, trap or even future bass, but the lack of human groove and playfulness leaves me wanting more. That being said, I find that in order for me to properly showcase a track it needs to find a sweet spot in my taste. While the track behind this post is not Snarky Puppy, its got enough of the funky groove feels that I need.

Now I can't say that I'd ever heard the original version of "Comin Out Strong" until after Saï T's flip, but now that I have, I realize I enjoy this version much more. It is supremely smooth and luscious, emanating from the speakers like a velvet fog. Its silkiness suits both vocalists well, especially so The Weeknd, whose delicate delivery washes over you like waves of warm water in a bubble bath. The samples flicker like candlelight, giving the track the ultimate unwinding atmosphere. While I wouldn't say I'm typically much for these kind of beats, I'm stunned by how much I like this, and the rest of Saï T's library, particularly his mix of Logic's "Buried Alive." Cop this flip free from The Artist Union, here.FOLLOW SAÏ T: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER