Monday, January 28, 2019

Tale Of Us - Afterlife Voyage 013

Whether it be through their own productions, their label Afterlife or their mixes, German duo Tale Of Us have been turning heads for years, first breaking through into mainstream consciousness with the runner up for Essential Mix of 2015. Last month they once again authored an awe-inspiring mix, the 13th edition of the Afterlife Voyage series, featuring countless forthcoming and unreleased tracks. Like Afterlife's motto "an odyssey through the realm of consciousness," this mix is one hell of a journey.

While writing this, and working on other odds and sods, I've made it through the first 47 minutes without it feeling like even half that length, however this is where I'm starting to notice a transition into more involving pieces, capturing my consciousness. Now of course this is not my first time listening to the voyage, and I am beginning to feel my favourite section coming to life. As many have noted in the comments, the second half of the mix seems to be the most widely appreciated, and I would agree as my two favourite IDs reside here. In fact when showing my friend this mix a couple weeks ago, I pressed play around the hour twenty-five mark but had to keep going back 5 minutes at a time because every time I moved back there was a banger waiting there for me.

So starting with the ID shortly after the hour mark through to what has been identified as NOID "125" and unreleased Ae:ther near the hour thirty-three mark, you cannot go wrong. But special attention has to be paid to the trio of tracks that starts with Ivory "Black Haired Sea" through to the aforementioned Ae:ther. This section is jacking, sweep you off your feet sensational, both with the blending transitions and the tracks' stunning sound designs. And while that section is truly a treat, a mere 10 minutes later we're welcomed to another exceptional run of IDs and unreleased cuts.

Much like Innellea "Vigilans," I was immediate awe-struck by the drop of Citizen Kain's "Indigo" at about 1:43:30. Of course the bleepy brilliance is all kinds of cool, but it wouldn't be nearly as effective without the deftly designed drums which add so much oomph there's no way you don't feel it in your core. Another one I cannot help but feel in my heart is of course the What_If edit of "Love Will Tear You Apart," which seemingly begins the descent into the expansive finale that includes Camille Luciani's take on "Sweet Disposition" and closes with a Kevin de Vries ID.

This more than two hour epic is most definitely a trip I'll continue to take whether I'm traveling, working out or just need a strong section for my shower and shave routine. Being that there's so many unreleased gems in here, I would not be surprised if it becomes one of my most played mixes this year, however I'll certainly be waiting with baited breath for the likes of that unreleased Ae:ther and "Indigo."FOLLOW TALE OF US: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER
FOLLOW AFTERLIFE: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER