Thursday, February 25, 2021

Tommy Navarro - I Cried My Life Away (Superlover Remix)

While Soundcloud continues to torque everything towards their Go+ feature, recently making a high-quality stream option exclusive to said subscription (angering those who already pay for Pro Unlimited), they do still offer one quality free feature. Often padded by mixes, and more recently, a barrage of BeHoward submissions, The Upload often offers up some hidden gems. Today's scroll turned up a quality cut from Superlover, who lends his lush stylings to a 1964 classic from Tommy Navarro.

While I can't say I'm familiar with "I Cried My Life Away," and very little comes up when you Google it, I cannot shake the feeling that I've encountered it in one shape or another. I'm shocked WhoSampled doesn't have it in their library, as it seems rife for sampling, interpolating or extrapolating. Tommy Navarro's vocals have an undeniably familiar quality, especially in the longer, more emotional notes. And of course, the horn hits and their melody are just as sample-friendly. However, we're working with a remix in which the arc of the original remains largely intact as Superlover brings the track into the new century. Giving the groove a little extra electronic oomph and mixing in some movement-inducing effects, Superlover's remix has a fabulous room-filling warmth and easy-going allure. It's not likely to leave you floored, but its soul is can't miss as it infects you with its groove, which in turn guides you to the dance-floor.

Stream the Superlover remix of "I Cried My Life Away" below and get it via Bandcamp here.

FOLLOW SUPERLOVER: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER