Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Top 100 Tracks Of 2020: 75-51

Continuation of the list started yesterday from 100-76, which also includes my disclaimer/preamble. Find Soundcloud playlist here and Spotify here.

#75: Aluna - Body Pump (Sammy Virji Remix)
The more I think about this, the more I realize this is likely my favourite use of Aluna vocals. Her incredible versatility and dynamism work wonders on this ridiculously groovy bed. The track rolls on wonderfully throughout, but the real win comes in the final minute and a half as Aluna and Sammy really let loose. The former feeding her inner diva and the latter letting the brass bustle.
Much like "Kessel Run" in last year's list, Polaris stays stellar with rapturous piano and scintillating percussion. A blinding rush through star systems, this is as dreamy and divine as any of the tracks in this list - the first of many DnB tracks to crack the Top 100.

The way Youngr brings out the best of the classics he flips is simply stunning. Laying down a sick new drum bed is just the start as the guitars eventually guide the Lifelike & Kris Menace creation to funky new heights. It hits on all cylinders, never compromising the quality of the original while adding an awesome new spin and lush life.

The quality of the original is forefront in this mix and maybe in a year in which clubs aren't closed, it supersedes the original. However, any chance at properly enjoying this in an all too crowded and sweaty club was foiled. That said, Four Tet has not disappointed with this dynamic and driving delivery. Its energy is utterly infectious and its breakdowns truly breathtaking. It's as if the original were bitten by a werewolf and this remix is its transformation.

A slow-burning sunset serenade. As comforting and cool as any track in this list, even if it makes us want to seek out a crowd to share its Baleric beauty. That said, I believe this got its fair share of play on quiet beaches and backyard gatherings. Soothing and soulful, it's a heartwarming Hot Creation.

Jim-E Stack had a great year. Having to pick just one of his tracks was not easy, and I'll admit to some recency bias here as I had his Bon Iver collab "Jeanie" marked for this list before this sublime slice dropped. Showing off his always deft drum-work and emotional intellect, this is indeed genius, especially in the gorgeous guitar riffs.

The first of three Jacques Greene tracks in this section. Jampacked with gems, Dawn Chorus (Deluxe) brought together a dozen incredible remixes, including this awe-inspiring odyssey. Fluorescent flurries, dizzying dynamism and brilliant breaks make this one hell of a ride.

Another track you could claim recency bias on, but hey, I'm partial to Caroline Polachek, Danny L Harle and indeed The Corrs' original. A divine new bed that hits all the necessary notes and nothing else. And it is that sparing score that makes it so powerful - tempting, teasing and leaving you longing for more.

One of my favourite groove joints of the year. If you ever needed to strut just put this on and let 'er rip. The organic oomph of the bass guitar is utterly infectious. Of course, it is the lifeblood of this track's brilliance, but without the killer combination of the glitzy topline and beautiful vocals, it would be a one-trick pony, not a surefire funk-fest.

There's always room in my musical consumption for Stevie Wonder, even if it's George Michael and Mary J. Blige. That said, it took a few listens for me to really fall for this. It doesn't have a big wow moment, but it doesn't really need that. After a more active listen, you'll be in awe of the intricacies that make it one of the best three minutes sections of the year. The duet, the choir, the keys, the drums, overall revenant energy - all worthy of genius that is Stevie.

It's been years since I've enjoyed a Flume original as much as this one, and I suppose it's no surprise it's DnB. With a direct, pop-like delivery, there's no nonsense here, just an incredibly catchy and surprisingly emotional sprint through Flume's sublime sound designs. Between the progressive playfulness of the extended mix and the vocal chops that remind me of his earliest exploits, this is Flume at his best.

This dynamic duo always delivers, but for my money, this is far and away their best work yet. Bleepy brilliance atop a gorgeous garage bed. Captivating and compelling throughout, but simply stunning in its fabulous, euphoric finale. While it might have left you crying in the club, it still succeeds in feeding your soul no matter where its waves wash over you.

Much like his remix of KAZU last year, this one speaks so directly to me. I absolutely love Alexis Taylor's tender vocals and here Jacques has woven a truly breathtaking bed for you to fall into. Its propulsive and groovy percussion plays intriguingly well against the dim, almost desperate ethereal atmosphere. An incredibly comforting and cool track, one that I've turned to countless times this year.

While putting this list together, this was one of a handful of tracks that I just kept dragging further and further towards the top. It's such an epic track, despite its less than five-minute runtime. The modes & moves and twists & turns it takes are awesome. And while I dig every iteration, there's no beating the bass leads starting at about 2:25. Splashy and strong, this acid-touched, electro-disco affair delivers grooves in droves and would certainly kill a club were it given the chance.

Hudson Mohawke doesn't miss much and boy, were we ever treated to a ton of his talent this year. While his albums had heaps of heat, this lush piano-led affair is far and away my favourite of his solo work. The crisp rattling drums pair so perfectly with the sparkling, buoyant bounce of the top lines and is sure to leave you jumping for joy.

While a couple versions of this were released last year, the quality of this extended mix has it in this year's list. These are two of Anjuna's top rising talents and you can see why with this powerful progression. The solid foundation Brown and Qrion built is beautiful, but the resplendent rollout that follows is all too awesome. Wicked, warm and wonderful stuff.

The third time Jacques Greene appears on this list, a feat only achieved by one other artist. I still remember my giddiness as I played this on Bump In The Hump in January, saying it would assuredly be one of the year's best tracks. And here we are, still swooning over the resplendent percussion and incredibly catchy melody.

The longest and indeed most epic inclusion on this list. The brilliance of Burial is on full display here as he builds not just one world but a whole solar system. It radiates electricity leaving each distinct section bristling with energy. Its many moods make for a wild ride, one that continues to feel fresh after several listens. While I thought I was sure of my favourite section, I'm suddenly second-guessing myself as I write this. The section just before the three-minute mark is cool, the reset around the midway point too, but I guess I again end up favouring the twinkling section right around the eight-minute mark as well as fluoro, rave-like finale. What an absolute trip this is. And what a trip up Burial delivered by dropping this after most year-end lists had already been published.

My favourite track from one of my favourite projects of the year. From front to back Night Class is a treat. It delivers a series of dark, moody tracks that combine so many of my favourite (sub)genres in deep house, disco and techno. Here the title track dazzles with the strongest synth work of the bunch, pitting its bleepy and bouncy lead against a myriad of masterfully crafted percussion.

AVIRA, someone I first encountered in October, has quickly become a trusted purveyor of melodic house & techno. That said, it took me a minute (or four) to fully fall for this one. I dig the setup of the track, especially as Armin and AVIRA establish the onslaught of sounds to follow, but I will say I kind of get lost in the middle section, especially as it seems to take a brighter, more optimistic turn. However, once we get to the sick and twisted payoff at about the four-minute mark, all bets are off as elbows and fists start flying. This section radiates anger and intensity, and I gotta say, it's really great for kicking it into another gear.

A put your head down and pound-type electro affair. About as straightforward as any track on this list which certainly says something about the killer quality of the driving rhythm that runs throughout this five-minute rollout. That said, this is no boring or stale track, Kiwi keeps things interesting with all kinds of playful progressions including the acid twist in the middle and the bleepy breakdown at the end.

Another track that just seemed to keep climbing after early placements had it ranked in the 70s. Every time I come back to this track I'm once again wowed by the life that seems to emanate from this all too electronic affair. The acid and its journey throughout this nearly seven-minute sensation are but one example of the incredible evolution and organic growth in "Sauna." However, there is but one section here that solidifies this as one of my favourite productions of the year. The way Brassica plays the drums and synths against each other from about 2:13 to 3:41 is so funkin' good.

Bloody hell this is a hell of a cool bootleg. Year after year, there's a funky/disco edit of an old rock track that makes its way into this list. I can't say I was familiar with the original and when I happened to hear a live version from Petty's Gatorville concert last week, my suspicions that this was praise-worthy edit were confirmed. It's gorgeous and groovy right from the jump, but things really take off as the funk gets fed in the second half. The Donald "Duck" Dunn bass is absolutely fantastic as is the rollicking Stevie Wonder-like clavinet/synth. Plain and simple, this one absolutely slaps.

One of a small handful of tracks in this list that makes me laugh out loud every time I hear it. And I don't mean that this track is funny or silly, but rather that Hagan is an absolute madman for its unbelievably sick and twisted turn. People probably thought I'd lost it as I biked by them laughing my head off while blasting Jessy Lanza's Essential Mix. An astoundingly warped weapon that despite clubs being closed still kills everywhere it's played. In the last couple of weeks, I've seen several DJs gush about this godly joint, which certainly bodes well for its inclusion in clubs when they come back.

While he's not going by Djemba Djemba anymore, that same infectious energy can now be found in Magic In The Rain. Primarily featuring organic instrumentation, his eponymous debut LP has a handful of intriguing offerings however this one hits me the hardest. The drum work shows the Djemba Djemba influence while building a brilliant bed for all manner of strings to shine upon. One of the coolest, cleanest and most natural feeling tracks I came across this year. Something I'd like to hear more of.

Note: #'s 57, 52 missing on Soundcloud and #'s 53, 51 missing on Spotify.