Thursday, April 16, 2020

Throwback Thursday: Katy B x Geeneus x Jessie Ware - Aaliyah

At some point today I decided I'd do a Throwback Thursday post and I tossed around a couple ideas, largely centered around incredible vocal performances. I thought about Gregor Salto and Funkin Matt's remix of Mariah Carey, Syn Cole's remix of Jennifer Lopez, Anabel Englund with Lee Foss and MK (either "Electricity" or "Ghost In The System") or MK's remix of HAIM. However as I listened to the latter on YouTube, my eyes were drawn to the name Julio Bashmore which reminded me of his work with Jessie Ware and in turn I was reminded of her track with Geeneus and Katy B.

Behold 2012's utterly breath-taking "Aaliyah." I'll start by saying that even on today's third listen, this time as the two divas sang live at Wireless Festival 2013 (see here), I was nearly brought to tears by the rush of endorphins as Jessie Ware came out for the second verse. These are two of my all-time favourite vocalists, both delicate and divine while remaining ridiculously powerful despite their restrained delivery. They both spin silky and sublime webs with their bewitching warmth. And it is this incredibly captivating and catchy quality that makes Geeneus' groovy bed such can't miss magic. The bounce is clean, crisp and beautiful. It flows fantastically through each verse and chorus letting its ever expanding luxuriousness lift up each vocal. This is never better noted than in the invigorating second verse in which Ware's whisper quiet vocals clash with the electrifying clicks and bleeps. There's no hope here but to give in to the groovy gorgeousness and bow down at the feet of this trio as they work their witchcraft/wizardry. The aura of "Aaliyah" is truly transfixing. Breath in its brilliance below.FOLLOW KATY B: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER
FOLLOW GEENEUS: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER
FOLLOW JESSIE WARE: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER