Friday, April 17, 2020

Enlightened Listening for April 17

Days and weeks are blurring together, so here's some new music to get lost in. This week's Enlightened Listening includes an incredible album from Hodge, the triumphant return of Jamie xx, a bunch of DnB, a ton of tech and some fun grooves in the finale. Listen through it all via Spotify below and find each release linked after the jump alongside a brief description. Enjoy and stay safe and sane!

Hodge - Shadows In Blue
A brilliant, cohesive and somehow diverse album. Incredible soundscapes that feel warm and welcoming. Not sure who I'd compare it to although Jamie xx comes to mind, but that's likely just recency bias.

Jamie xx - Idontknow
Masterful moving genius. There's so much to like here. Right back on that In Colour/"Gosh" quality.

Joji - Gimme Love
Can't say I know much, if really anything, about Joji, but I can say that this is awesome. I'm far more drawn to the upbeat first half, but the touching back half is beautiful nonetheless.

Bensley ft. Sarah Carmonsino - Secrets
The namesake original came out with the album, so this is really about Flite's fire remix. Builds brilliantly upon the aura of the original while working it into a much heavier, punchier production.

Urbandawn - Together Again (I Pray)
Divine DnB that's got both a banging get-down and propulsive, uplifting energy, especially through its vocals.

BCee - Griffins
Having Gramma Funk on the first track is an excellent indication just how groovy this EP is. No need to do any work, just crank this and you body will do the rest. Ridiculously infectious and fun.

YehMe2 - Keys To The Jeep (ft. Rome Fortune)
An inescapable house banger. The flow and beat match perfectly. Special props to the car alarm/horn samples.

Various Artists - In Flames / Radiate / Whisperings
Three equally epic techno tracks. "In Flames" flutters into the warped resplendence of "Radiate" while "Whisperings" doubles down on both, delivering a brooding obsidian conscience.

Mòo & Jo - Jupiter
Bibliothèque Records are quickly becoming one of my favourite labels as of late. Each of these tracks are excellent examples of the subtle, progressive strength I've come to love from their releases. Like Unknown Motive's "Chemistry," I'm sure one, if not both, of these will stay with me deep into the year.

Issac - Clavel
As epic as the last two releases are, neither quite compares to the 9.5 minute average length of the tracks here. Issac really lets each track breathe and grow. I'm drawn most to "Rimel," but I quite enjoy the guitar in both versions of "It's An Extreme Life."

Disciples - Only The Gods / Better On My Own
Was just thinking about Anabel Englund yesterday so this is a welcome treat. Two dope, deep house cuts.

Yung Bae ft. bbno$ - Bad Boy (Low Steppa Remix)
I definitely did not see this one coming, but I'm absolutely here for it. Low Steppa delivers his usual quality which only increases the already catchy nature of the original.

DiRTY RADiO & Jafunk - The Baddest
Any track that starts like this is a winner in my books. Fun, easy-grooving funk.

Fakear & Alex Metric - Carrie
What language is this? Doesn't matter. The music is more than enough for me. Delicate and divine, it's a bed I'd love to lay in until the end of lockdown.

The Nights - Without You (Qrion Remix)
Can't remember the last time Qrion released a track I wasn't a fan of. Here she sends the deep original soaring off into the sunset.