Thursday, July 11, 2019

Throwback Thursday: The Slow Waves - Undertow

For today's Throwback Thursday post I'm going to do something a little different. While this track is over seven years old, I had not heard it until this week and almost mistakenly credited as new in this week's episode of Bump In The Hump. Apparently Main Course had been updating their Bandcamp page and, as a follower, an email arrived in my inbox. Instantly falling for the b-side "Undertow" I gobbled up the download and dropped it into the mix. However upon further inspection I realized this was the debut release from the now prolific Main Course. So instead of spinning it on air I'll gush about it here.

Known for their remixes, The Slow Waves broke through with this beautiful 2012 original that feels more like an 80s track, especially with its undeniable soundtrack quality. And it is this cinematic quality, and the soundscape that it enjoys, that has me so hooked on "Undertow." Throughout the course of the track, and not just because of the guitar riffs, I'm reminded of the opening number of perhaps my favourite album of all-time, The Cure's 1989 classic Disintegration.

Just as "Plainsong" opens with a long intro, "Undertow" washes you clean of expectation and readies you for the baptism of bliss that awaits. Once the track does indeed kick into gear, you are immediately sucked into its stirring strength as the guitars and synths fill you with a sense of ease and serenity. And if I can go further towards The Cure connection, it is this same feeling that rides throughout Disintegration. Their troubled waters suck us into their grasps, however we are alright with this reality, feeling at home in this helplessness. It is our fate and we are more than at peace with it, we are truly in love with it.

Give in and drift away with the "Undertow" by way of The Slow Waves.FOLLOW THE SLOW WAVES: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER