Friday, September 07, 2018

Enlightened Listening for September 7

Fridays are always fantastic but this one is particularly so, thanks to six EP/albums. This week's edition of Enlightened Listening is firmly focused on those longer form releases moving from Uppermost's uplifting grooves, through Sébastien Léger's sublime soundscapes to the techno from BNR and Cardopusher to the fantastic fire of ANGELZ's third iteration of Saint Thug. I won't get too deep into descriptions as I'm again cramped for time (I'm working on the new seasons of both Bump In The Hump and My Mixtape which premiere next week), but I will hopefully sell you on the quality of each of these releases in a brief 'elevator pitch' if you will. Enjoy each below and have a great weekend!


Uppermost - Given By Nature
Warm analog designs with a human touch and sneaky underlying groove. If there was one word or feeling that I get throughout this, it is undoubtedly soaring. Favourite track: "Dreams."

Sébastien Léger - Underwater Rocket
Seems like Seb has found a fitting home with All Day I Dream, where his progressive deep house mysticism can truly thrive. How tracks can be so free floating yet earthbound through bass is beyond me. Favourite track: "Satellite."

Qrion - GAF 1
Not what I expected when I pressed play, but boy did Qrion deliver with this EP. "GAF" jumps right into the conversation for my favourite house tracks of the year. A bright, bouncy, juicy, spiraling sensation.

Brain Dancing - Far From Finished
Old school bleepy rave, electro, techno blended like only BNR can deliver. Reach for the sky raucousness with some supremely strong soundscapes that will immediately invoke club/warehouse feels. Favourite track: "Opti C Dorian."

Cardopusher - Zone 34: Face The Machine
Hard driving grooves with a strong serving of acid to eat away at your mind while your feet fly all over the floor. Cardopusher is always good but this may be my favourite release of his, and not just because of the clever titles. Favourite track: "All Fall Down."

ANGELZ - Saint Thug: Numero III
Easily one of the hottest producers in the club/bass house scene ANGELZ has done it again. These are bangers of the highest quality, not just turning the bass up to a ten but thriving through sick sound design and dope features. Favourite track: "Yeah Yeah."