Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Stevie Nicks & Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - Stop Draggin' My Heart Around (RedKen Remix)

Soundcloud's The Upload playlist strikes again. Despite featuring more than a dozen mixes, today's personalized playlist did indeed capture my attention with a RedKen remix of a classic Stevie Nicks/Tom Petty collaboration.

The lead single from Nicks' debut solo album Bella Donna, "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" is actually the only track on the 1981 album that was not written by Nicks. Originally a Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers song, producer Jimmy Iovine arranged for Nicks to sing on the track, and the rest is history.

Already an exceedingly cool production, Kenny Dickenson aka RedKen has doubled down on the brilliant Donald "Duck" Dunn bassline, Benmont Tench organ and Michael Campbell guitar of "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around." The resultant remix is ridiculously groovy and downright gorgeous. It maintains the original's dark alchemy and breathtaking duets, while shifting its ethos from a sentimental blues affair to a funky, driving dance joint. I can only imagine the soaring feeling one would experience while cruising a dark road as the extended grooves make the minutes fly by.

I'm on perhaps my dozenth listen now and somehow "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" keeps getting better. Unfortunately it is not yet available for download, but AOR DISCO promise it will be soon. Of course I will update if/when it does become available, but until then enjoy the stream below.

FOLLOW REDKEN: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER