Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Bump In The Hump Sneak Peek: Colyn - The Future Is The Past (GRIM Edit)

Readers of this blog should well know my love for Afterlife. Their releases and Voyage mix series are always excellent and, while I try not to drink from the same well too often, I cannot help myself when it comes to their immersive offerings. Despite "The Future Is The Past" not being an Afterlife release, Colyn will always remind me of them, especially this track whose cascading synths beg to be put to use in a Voyage mix.

As good as the original is, Toronto's GRIM has retooled the quality of Colyn in an abridgment or 'good parts version,' applying an incredible polish to the already exquisite gem. I literally laughed out loud when I first listened to GRIM's edit on my bike ride as the dueling melodies exploded in my ear. Each is awesome in their own right, but when they meet up and cross paths the track goes Super Saiyan like two stars colliding in epic fashion (something not unlike iTunes' built-in visualizer). Now of course the synths are the can't miss crux of the track, but there's no discounting the punchy drum design and delivery, nor the slick, sweeping movement that allows GRIM to present the more than seven minute track in a tight five minute format.

Powerful from start to finish, this exceptional edit of "The Future Is The Past" sits smack dab in the middle of an abbreviated techno section on tonight's all new episode of Bump In The Hump, alongside Afterlife's Tale Of Us and "Be As One." Catch it live in the mix from 7-9 PM EDT on Radio Humber or find the full episode after the fact on Mixcloud here. Stream the edit below and get it for free here.
FOLLOW GRIM: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER
FOLLOW COLYN: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER