Friday, May 08, 2020

Enlightened Listening for May 8

After last week's Bandcamp based edition of Enlightened Listening we're back to Spotify for 50 new tracks across 16 new releases ranging from trance and techno, to DnB and disco. There's albums from Somna and Booka Shade, a trio of tremendous EPs, and two sublime singles from my all-time favourites Jessie Ware and Joe Goddard. Find it all below with brief descriptions. Enjoy and stay safe!

Somna - Beside You
I lost my mind when I heard the album minimix on Soundcloud, a great indication of the breadth of the 14 track epic. I recently re-listened to Cosmic Gate's Essential Mix (one of my all-time favourites) and this shares a lot of similarities. My kind of trance.

Oliver Heldens & MOGUAI - Cucumba (Ilan Bluestone Remix)
Another one that reminds me of the Cosmic Gate Essential Mix. Bluestone's brilliance is all over this. The percussion is killer and it works wonders with the synths and anticipatory atmosphere.

John Dahlbäck - Chased
Seems I'm really on the house/trance blend because here we go again. Dahlbäck delivers a big one here, but I just wish it were the extended mix. Really getting the urge to rave IN A CLUB thanks to this.

DubVision - Take My Mind
Absolutely love the wobbly/trippy/glitchiness of this. And while the flurries are obviously the leading lady as it were, the way it catches its stride with the kick is what makes "Take My Mind" so intoxicating.

Lili Caseley - C'est La Ve (Le Matin Remix)
While it doesn't say it in its title, this is a Louis La Roche remix. The soft and slow start quickly makes room for a wicked upbeat kick. A little more jacking than we usually get from LLR, but catchy nonetheless.

Dombresky & Boston Bun - Stronger (Tensnake Remix)
Tensnake stays hot here as he brings his polished groove to the already awesome collab. Special mention needs to be made of both the bumping bassline and sensational string sweeps.

Folamour - I Miss Having Someone To Talk To (ft. Liv East)
Folamour never misses. The organic quality of this one is just so gorgeous and easy to enjoy. Both the brass and the drums are divine.

HERO - CRY BABY (Matthew Law Remix)
It really says something when all the remixes of HERO are immaculate. The Lo Stesso remix last week was really chill and this one is gorgeous and groovy. Love the little cellphone notification/beep sfx.

Jessie Ware - Save A Kiss
My favourite of Jessie's latest run of singles. Sublime strings and brilliant electronic build, both the instrumental and Jessie are as awesome as ever.

Joe Goddard & Hayden Thorpe - Unknown Song
I think this may be my favourite Joe Goddard since Electric Lines. There's just something about the way he works with and around Hayden Thorpe's vocals. It's got a brilliant bounce and dope designs throughout.

Booka Shade - Dear Future Self
Each single has been killer and the complete version is no different. Epic and strong, each of the tracks sets a scene like only Booka Shade can. Massive interstellar magnitude.

Ejeca - Everglade
Following "Ekstac" is a tough task, but this EP is up to it. Awesome moving cuts throughout with the same kind of captivating quality as "Ekstac." Watch out for the fantastic use of vocals.

Aera - Prana
Upon first listen to Prana, I flipped between gasps and yelps as each track revealed itself. The toplines are stunning throughout and their subtleties just so heartening. It's going to be interesting to see how this one plays through the year and whether I'll be pumping all four tracks as I suspect I will.

Cozway - Expedition
The lead single is simply stunning, likely Cozway's best work. Its counterparts continue this trend of showcasing the rising star's sound. Think of him as both Canada and trap's Rebūke.

Baauer - AETHER
The build to the trap legend's album Planet's Mad continues and while two rainforest flavoured tunes appeared this week, I'm far more a fan of the DnB base of "AETHER." It has an edge of madness and mayhem, but Baauer's brilliance keeps it all tight and harmonious.

DJ Zinc - Through It All (ft. Maverick Sabre)
Another legend to wrap things up. Beautiful, uplifting and highly musical DnB with heartening vocals to boot.