Thursday, October 12, 2017

Throwback Thursday: Hot Chip - Boy From School (Erol Alkan Rework)

It's been a while since I've done a Throwback Thursday post but lately I've found myself digging deeper and deeper through my library, in part fostered by Erol Alkan posting his "Reworks Volume 1" playlist on Spotify. I've noted before that he's without question one of the biggest influences in my musical taste, and that playlist is chalk full of some of my favourite of his works, particularly his take on Hot Chip's "Boy From School." Whether with Boys Noize, his own originals or his unparalleled remix rework/re-edit collection, the man always crafts the most infectious and inspired records.

While I could have just as easily gushed about his "Forever Dolphin Love," "Why Won't You Make Up Your Mind," or "Zero" reworks, I'm still on a Joe Goddard bent and as he's a member of Hot Chip I figured why not continue to run in that direction. What makes Erol's "Boy From School" rework so special is precisely what makes all of his work so genius. He works with the original track's appeal: if it calls for intense banging breaks and beats he does it, if it's a more melodic, expressive tune he takes that into regard. Here with "Boy From School" he keys in on the twinkling sheen of the original, and brings that to the fore, giving the bells more room to breath in the extended now bloghaus bent. And maybe this is really the crux, maybe I'm just a bloghaus boy, but it's that kind of raw mixture of post punk with alluring electronic ideology that makes all of these reworks so magical. They're epic in form and sound design, and just so much fun. That's really what dance music is about; losing yourself in a flurry of fun on the dancefloor. Do yourself a favour and check out as much Erol as you can, you won't be disappointed. He's the perfect mixture of Talking Heads, LCD Soundsystem and Kraftwerk.FOLLOW EROL ALKAN: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER
FOLLOW HOT CHIP: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER